November 18, 2017, 06:19:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Next time, I'll stay home...  (Read 1538 times)
Desmond
All-Star

« on: September 12, 2004, 07:31:55 AM »

During my all-day trip to the Long Beach Town Center near my home tonight, I passed through several restaurant/bars.  Despite the magnitude of the Chevy Rock and Roll 400, none of them showed the event on any TV set.

What's worse, one of the restaurants (country themed) could not find TNT on its television listings and claimed that the restaurant did not pay for it.  Beats me.  Another (TGIF) had a bartender find the contest, only to skip right past it in favor of the Angels vs. White Sox baseball game.  This is the same place that has shown NASCAR racing on TNT just two weeks ago and on FX earlier this year.

Did I just happen to pick the wrong day--in the wrong part of the country--to try to see the race?  After all, the Angels, Dodgers, and USC Trojans all played at the same time as the NASCAR race.

I am so angry, I can't trust these people anymore.  My home is now the only place I am guaranteed to see the action, as I wrote in the subject line. :x

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
17RoushFan
Veteran

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2004, 10:26:47 AM »

Yeah, it stinks that people praise something and then turn it down soon after. On one of the 20-minute national updates on the radio tonight, all they said was that Mayfield won the race. They did not say anything else. Ironically, the same station I was listening to said that other radio stations cover NASCAR better than anyone else, or something like that.  :?

tuned in to watch some commercials, but when they went to break, i saw a nascar race!
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2004, 05:20:22 PM »

I need to add some more background information to my earlier post.

At TGIF, there were some people that could have helped advocate for me Saturday night that were not there.  One of them was a bartender named Heather, who knows that I'm a NASCAR fan.  I did not see her, and as far as I know she was not at work at the time of the race.

Also, there is a mother and son (don't know their names) that sometimes drop in to eat.  When they do, they ask for the NASCAR race and are accomodated.  I did not see them either.

Perhaps if they were present, I would have been able to see the Richmond race live Saturday night.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2004, 07:12:28 PM »

hey desmond i'm not surprised at all. here in nyc no sport bar or resturant  will carry a race ever  i know  i've asked a bunch of times. i suspect in any big city this will be true. get used to this.
Vivian
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2004, 09:09:02 PM »

Nascar may be the fastest growing sport in America but from what I understand,  baseball and football are America's favorite past times and throw in a little basketball and we are all set.  Sorry if I sound like I am being a smarty but I just don't think the racing can compete when it comes to the biggest audience on tv.  JMHO..

On Sunday sometimes we go to a champagne brunch and they won't turn away from ball games of any sorts and I hear that is true of most places here.  I also have been told by many customers at the shop that they don't watch all the time anymore because it just isn't the same anymore.
marrtinigirl
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2004, 02:03:25 PM »

Don't feel bad guys.  When Sally and I were staying in Boone, NC for the Bristol race, we were in some restaurant and they had on two preseason football games in the bar and had a huge crowd watching.  This, instead of the truck race in supposed NASCAR country.  So I don't think it is just the big cities.  Everywhere you go, football is ruling, even in the preseason.  Sally and I joked with the idea of asking any of the guys watching the game (and some ladies, too) if they planned on missing football to watch the big play-off races, but we already knew what the answer would be and decided better of it.

Staci
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2004, 04:31:18 PM »

Ron,

As I said some months ago, try ESPN Zone in Times Square.  They show just about sporting event on TV in the Screening Room.

ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2004, 06:54:13 PM »

that will not work desmond on nfl sundays. too many football fans not enough tvs. believe me  i've tried.
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2004, 04:26:34 PM »

So, Ron, how will you follow the next two races, with no TNT, no local radio, and no satellite radio?  Do you have a subscription to TrackPass on NASCAR.com?

ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2004, 03:27:14 PM »

i may go to the library on sunday to check on the race through jayski but i want watch the giants game on tv.
sally
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2004, 09:05:30 PM »

Ron

I think you just proved our point about Nascar versus the NFL.

Sally :wink:
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2004, 03:09:47 PM »

sally i did stay home to watch the giants game and didn't see any highlights until the sport machine came at 12:30 am here. also mike fransesa  who host a local talk show her in nyc and a tv show called miked up  was asked a qusetion about why he won't  cover nascar on his show said and i qoute " nobody absolutely nothing cares babout nascar in ny". Smiley  Smiley  Smiley lol
marrtinigirl
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2004, 04:02:57 PM »

Yeah, but I bet Brian France and all of the other Nascar people will just say that that is one guy's opinion and that they are really selling in NY.  I wish something would open his eyes to make him realize that what he thinks is working is only working in his imagination.

Staci
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2004, 03:38:53 PM »

Smiley  Smiley trust me staci if france does say that it would be a bald-faced lie.nobody in this town is interested in nascar even the proposed track on staten island is going nowhere.
marrtinigirl
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2004, 06:30:47 PM »

Oh, I totally agree with you, Ron, I was just saying that they always seem to come up with some lame excuse.  You know, just because this guy doesn't care about Nascar doesn't mean everyone doesn't.  I am sure they would even make up that they had talked to people in New York and they are all hyped about the idea.  Even though it would be a lie, they would still say it because they aren't willing to listen to or even acknowledge the people who could prove them wrong.

If they had as many facts as they do excuses or dreams, perhaps we wouldn't be dealing with this stuff in the first place.

Staci
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: