November 22, 2017, 11:56:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Classic Points System  (Read 953 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: November 24, 2009, 04:05:00 PM »

First off, I'll state, I've never liked the Chase and never will.  From the beginning, it appeared to me to be another in many of NA$CAR's welfare systems to help drivers who couldn't cut it - to altificially tighten the points - to supposedly provide "drama" for TV.  Yeah, we see how that's working out now.

Secondly, the end of this season has bored me more than any that I can ever remember.  And I actually like Jimmie Johnson!  But it wasn't even the championship battle that bored me, it was the choice of tracks near the end of the season.  Phoenix and Homestead bored me for all three series the last couple of weeks.  And when the trucks are boing, something is definitely wrong.  Both Fridays, I had to turn off the truck races and watch something else to stay awake.  Then watched the recordings of the truck races on Sat morning.  The one from Homestead nearly put me back to sleep on Sat morning when I was wide awake.  I'll never like flat tracks or tracks where when cars get side-by-side, there's always a chance of wrecking because there really aren't two racing grooves.  And that's what I saw this past weekend at Hometead (for the most part).  That's always been a bad track and nothing will ever fix it IMHO...

Okay, after getting all that off my chest, I did finally get around to looking at Jayski where he has the ponits under the old system. And Johnson would've won under an entire season points system and I'm okay with that, I guess.  He's a good, smooth driver and Chad definitely is great leader, who keeps his head when they are faced with adversity (bad pit stops, wrecks, etc.).  Personally, I  admire that a lot.  Something Jeff Gordon's crew chief is sadly lacking...Was I disappointed Jeff didn't really stand a chance, yep, I was.  Does it look like JJ will get "five" championships before Gordon does (if ever)?  Yep and that bugs me a lot because as good as I think Jimmie is, I think Gordon is a lot better.  But his loyality to his crew chief is killing him and I don't see him as the type of person to throw out loyalty.  He could surprise me in the off-season, but I doubt it.

So back to my real point of this post.  Under the old points system, here's how the points would've gone.  I just find it interesting to still compare to the old days.   Wink  And, Dick, under this scenario Matt would've at least finished in the top 12.

Final UNOFFICIAL 2009 Sprint Cup CLASSIC
the OLD way - Driver Points Standings [after Homestead, race 36 of 36]:
pos, car#, driver, points, behind
1) #48-Jimmie Johnson (X), 5156
2) #24-Jeff Gordon (X), 5090, -66
3) #14-Tony Stewart (X), 5085, -71
4) #11-Denny Hamlin (X), 4806, -350
5) #5-Mark Martin (X), 4762, -394
6) #2-Kurt Busch (X), 4758, -398
7) #16-Greg Biffle (X), 4541, -615
8 #42-Juan Pablo Montoya (X), 4503, -653
9) #18-Kyle Busch, 4457, -699
10) #39-Ryan Newman (X), 4447, -709
11) #99-Carl Edwards (X), 4398, -758
12) #17-Matt Kenseth, 4389, -767
13) #9-Kasey Kahne (X), 4388, -768
14) #33-Clint Bowyer, 4359, -797
15) #00-David Reutimann, 4221, -935
16) #83-Brian Vickers (X), 4122, -1034

Cheryl
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 07:23:22 PM by Cheryl » Logged
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 04:28:21 PM »

I find it interesting that Mark would have dropped to 5th. Mark had a heckuva year by any standards.

I agree Cheryl. In his prime in the late 90's, Jeff Gordon was the best, by quite a margin, clearly the best of his generation. I hope he quits before he gets too old, and doesn't just drive around like DW and some others.

I hate to see Matt finish a notch below Kyle, but such is life! I can even remember when Michigan defeated my beloved Buckeyes! (OK Enuff of that, Dick. Behave!!!). Grin

Seriously, though, the money factor is killing the sport. The 20thplace finisher, 20th mind you, made of 4 million dollars this year. FOUR million for being an also ran! And just why is the Menard kid driving anyhow?? MONEY. Period.

Oh well, I have a Mustang to work on,... Grin

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 05:02:03 PM »

Here's a great article from the Charlotte Observer that pretty much sums up my feelings as well.  Glad to hear at least one journalist isn't drinking the NA$CAR kool-aid.

http://www.thatsracin.com/115/story/23137.html

Cheryl
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: