November 18, 2017, 07:15:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another Classy Move by Edwards  (Read 617 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: October 27, 2009, 12:16:01 PM »

Concerning the girl who was injured at Dega in the spring when Kamakaze put him in the fence:

"Edwards hopes to meet with injured fan: #99-Carl Edwards is looking forward to one aspect of returning to Talladega Superspeedway one week from this Sunday. He hopes to be able to meet in person with Blake Bobbitt, the young woman whose jaw was broken when a piece of Edwards' #99 Ford flew into the frontstretch grandstands as the Aaron's 499 Sprint Cup race reached its wild and controversial conclusion this past April. "We text back and forth," Edwards said. "And I think she's going to come down and say hey at Talladega, so that's cool." Bobbitt had to be helped to a local hospital after the incident. Then 17 (she since has celebrated her 18th birthday and graduated from high school), Bobbitt underwent reconstructive surgery where two plates had to be inserted in her jaw, which was then wired shut for six weeks. Edwards said he called Bobbitt recently and had a "really positive conversation" with her. "A piece of my car hit her in the face. I just felt bad. I wanted to talk to her about it," Edwards said. "I just wanted her to know that everybody on my team was behind her and wanted to help her. She's doing OK. She had a broken jaw. We didn't talk at length about her injuries -- but the way I understand it, it broke her jaw and knocked [some of] her teeth out. So it was a bad deal. It was right before she graduated high school, so that was tough. From what I can tell, she handled it well." Edwards said when he discovered Bobbitt and seven other fans had been injured (the rest were relatively minor injuries) as a result of his airborne car slamming into the catch fence, it was a horrible feeling. "That's the worst feeling I've had in racing," Edwards said. "When I landed in my airplane in Washington [D.C.] after that race -- I was going to a Ford appearance -- Randy [Fuller], my PR guy, told me, 'Look, there were some people injured.' That was a really bad feeling." Edwards said he looks forward to meeting in person with Bobbitt -- even if he's not all that pumped about participating in the upcoming race at Talladega. "She's really nice and she's a pretty cool chick," Edwards said. "We've been talking a little bit and I think she's gonna come out to the race. Hopefully, we'll be able to meet up, but that was crazy. I hope nothing like that happens again."
Rick Humphrey, the president of Talladega Superspeedway, hired an outside engineering firm to examine what could be done to his track's infrastructure to improve safety in the aftermath of Edwards' accident. Humphrey recently announced that the catch fence along the frontstretch has been raised an additional eight feet, from 14 to 22 feet.(in part from NASCAR.com)(10-27-2009)"

Cheryl

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: