November 21, 2017, 06:23:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Possible Earlier Start Times in 2010?  (Read 1356 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: August 11, 2009, 02:19:26 PM »

Supposedly ESPN is willing to start the races earlier if NA$CAR is willing to finally listen to the viewers:

http://www.scenedaily.com/news/articles/sprintcupseries/ESPN_would_be_in_favor_of_shift_to_earlier_start_times_for_Sprint_Cup_races.html

Cheryl
shawn
Legend

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 04:19:26 PM »

It would be nice for earlier start times, heck I would like a race that is supposed to start @ 2pm, actually start at 2. 

super61
Grizzled Veteran

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 11:24:22 PM »

ah move em all back to 1pm est

ken

never under estimate what an angry mob can accomplish
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 11:31:26 AM »

I think what Shawn is saying is that even when they claim the race time is 2:00, they never start until at least 2:20 these days. 

I'm all for moving them back to 1:00.  That way people won't get "distracted" watching football. 

Cheryl
shawn
Legend

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 04:35:09 PM »

You are correct Cheryl, nothing like turning the tv on at 2 and still have 20 min or so of pre-race stuff to sit through.

Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 01:09:50 PM »

Frankly, I get really, really tired of sitting around waiting for the race to start these days.  Yesterday was a perfect example...I just ignored the 10 hours of pre-race junk and read a book, then turned on the TV a little after two.

The great irony is that if they'd started the race at 12:30, it would've been half over before the rain came...I mean, didn't something similar thing happen a couple of weeks ago, when they hadn't even got the race started before rain came.  How absurd!

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 06:08:45 PM »

one of several reasons behind my utter lack of desire to go back to a Daytona 500 is the late start times. Sombody needs to remind the Nascar "suits" that the prime time of day for a race in February in the "sunshine state" is in fact while the sun is shining!  Getting back to the parking lot after dark and trying to start home that late makes for a miserable experience, especially when it rains, like this year. Sad

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 02:46:06 PM »

Here's more on this from today's Jayski:

"Start times for races could be more consistent in 2010: NASCAR is expected to have more consistent start times by the 2010 season. Officials confirmed they are working with the networks to standardize starting times that fans have criticized for years. Atlanta Motor Speedway president Ed Clark told reporters on Saturday that the plan is to run most afternoon races at 1:00pm/et and most night races at 7:30pm/et. This may vary for West Coast races.(more at ESPN Insider)(9-11-2009)"

God, I hope they mean they'll actually start at 1:00!  Not just have another wasted 20 minutes of pre-race crap.  If they go back to 1:00 starts, that would be an excellent move IMHO.

Also, I'd like to see the night races start even earlier than 7:30.  It was all we could do to stay awake for the end of Atlanta last week.  Starting at 8:20 for 500 miles is just ridiculous!

Cheryl

Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2009, 05:05:48 PM »

I guess the noise from the fans was just too much to ignore. Smiley

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 12:04:27 PM »

Here's another rumor from Jayski:

"Latest on standard times for races: Word is that NASCAR is eyeing two future schedule changes which would affect television viewers and would affect viewers in the grandstands. Grant Lynch, chairman of Talladega Superspeedway and International Speedway Corporation's vice president of strategic operations, has heard about both and talked about both on Saturday. The first is standardization of the starting times of Sprint Cup races. "From what we've been hearing from fans, that move would be real positive," Lynch said. Currently starting times vary. This year, there have been 16 races starting at 2:00pm, five at 3:25-3:30pm, six from 7:20-7:30pm, two at 8:00pm, as well as other races starting at 1:00pm, 1:30pm, 4:30pm, 5:00pm, 5:45pm, 6:00pm and 8:30pm. The standardized starting time being talked about most for Sunday races is 1 p.m. Eastern.
Also getting attention are reports that NASCAR may try to insert more two-day shows onto the schedule [like was used at Atlanta in Sept]. That is, cut out action on the tracks on Fridays and have the Cup cars qualify on Saturday and race on Sunday.(Racin' Today)(10-4-2009)"

Races that actually start at 1 p.m. would be great! 

But I don't think cutting Friday activities at the track would be fair to the fans who camp at the track.  I know when we went to races, we felt we got out money's worth for the 4 days by having qualifying and practice on Fridays.  Plus, those were some of my favorite times, especially at Dover - having the lowkey, uncrowded all day activities before all the madness of Sat and Sun.

Cheryl
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 08:23:07 PM »

Now that the new 1:00P.M. East Coast times have been announced let me be the first to complain. I like the 2:00 start time. I could get my grocery shopping, other errands and lunch done by 2:00 and have the radio or TV on at 2:15.

I tuned in to watch a Nationwide race and all I got was Danica.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2009, 03:00:07 PM »

You are kidding, right Brian?   Wink

I am SO happy to hear this, but BF makes it sound like they are doing the "hardcore fans" such a big favor.  Jeesh!  I heard some excerpts from the teleconference on XM and David Hill of Fox actually admitted they were the culprits in forcing later and later start times.  That was good to hear.  Now if he'd only admit how screwed up DW and the weasel are.   Roll Eyes

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2009, 05:45:32 PM »

Now Cheryl, let's not hope for too many miracles at one time!!! Grin
Until the Networks admit that racing is NOT just any old sport, and, makes the necessary adjustments,  I'll just find things to do other than to watch the race telecasts.

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2009, 06:25:52 PM »

Until the Networks admit that racing is NOT just any old sport, and, makes the necessary adjustments, 

In my opinion, they don't even give it the respect they give every other "old" sport...Allowing DW to continue to act like a yokel and promoting cartoons (instead of showing racing) makes it look like they don't even consider it a real sport to begin with...

Cheryl
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: