November 21, 2017, 11:09:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm Already Sick of the Chase...  (Read 1595 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: September 18, 2009, 01:26:10 PM »

...and it hasn't even started yet.  There's so much fake hoopla about the 12 drivers on TV, XM, and the internet this week, I can barely listen to it or read anything on Jayski.  Do they really think parading the drivers in NYC and everywhere is going to get more interest from the casual fans?  I like most of the drivers in there and this just makes me dread hearing all the hype for the next 10 weeks.  Perhaps if the Chase started somewhere more exciting than Loudon, I'd have more interest...

Cheryl

Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 08:15:03 AM »

I haven't been here in quite a while.  I have moved on to schoolwork and other personal projects and forums.

Anyway, I'm with Cheryl on the Chase.  The weirdest part, as always, is that there are other drivers in each of the "playoff" races that will be ignored as if they don't exist, with the possible exception of Dale Jr.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 05:57:15 PM »

Even one of our local sportswriters, who has some racing in his background, wrote a column stating basically "yawn" when it comes to "the chase".

I know that it's sour grapes on my part, but frankly, I just don't care very much.

Dick

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 07:57:43 PM »

I think the chase is "yawn" to most newspapers. You have to dig through loads of football news to find any kind of racing news this time of year. I tune out 98% of the chase talk.

I tuned in to watch a Nationwide race and all I got was Danica.
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 03:37:27 PM »

One newspaper article I read told us how the chase drivers were racing hard and doing all sorts of strategy moves, etc the whole race and how exciting it was. I didn't bother to watch, so I don't know, but i find it interesting that they have to TELL US how exciting the race was,... I always thought that the fans would let the media know how exciting any particular event is/was, not vice versa.

Oh well, I have an old truck to work on. Grin

William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 06:37:33 PM »

You know, I actually like Jimmie Johnson (thought not as much as Jeff Gordon), but the Chase this year is just plain painful to watch!  I wish they'd just cancel the next five races and award him the trophy now!  At least (to me) it seemed like back when Gordon was winning so much that at least someone could run with him and compete for wins.  It doesn't seem like anyone  has a chance against the 48 team this year.   Sad  I just can't believe how uncompetitive Carl, Biffle, etc. are either.

Cheryl
cowboy271
Grizzled Veteran

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 01:42:23 AM »

The brain-passage-of-gas that initiated the chase was undoubtedly intended to amplify the excitement of the regular season...and it's done one part of that...amplified the ennui of the regular season.  NASCAR is badly broken IMHO.  When Charlotte hosts a race (and especially an exciting chase race) and has to cover up many backstretch seats and still plenty of open seats in other areas; it looks like trouble to me.
I hope JJ wins it all again.  Apparently NASCAR thinks they're cheating, but building cars too close to specs?  How can you be too close to specs?  Reminds me of a night in my youth.  We were at a softball park in the little town of Carrboro, NC watching a game.  A young guy with a hopped up '56 Ford kept circling the block around the field, racing his engine at every stop hoping to attract some of the females present.  The town's police chief and force (all one and the same), got out of his car, big chaw of Red Man in his cheek and proceeded to accost the young man.  He told the young man, "Boy, I'm agonna write you a ticket here for fixin' to scratch off, and you'd better park it or leave."  I don't know if the Hendricks are cheating, but apparently they've come up with technology to build cars closer to NASCAR's specs than NASCAR is comfortable with.  I imagine Smokey Yunick is sitting somewhere with a big grin around his cigar.

I'm keeping with NASCAR's theme.."Idiot of Tomorrow" so Speedcouch needs a new resident idiot.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 01:23:10 PM »

The brain-passage-of-gas that initiated the chase was undoubtedly intended to amplify the excitement of the regular season...and it's done one part of that...amplified the ennui of the regular season. 

Okay, James, the truth comes out!  Your way too educated and world-travelled for the rest of us here.  I had to look up "ennui."   laugh

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 04:42:20 PM »

To be able to write as James does is a real talent. I admire his ability.

William James
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: