November 20, 2017, 08:24:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: To watch or not to watch  (Read 854 times)
Vivian
« on: September 03, 2004, 05:52:52 PM »

the race this weekend.  My decision still has not been made.  These reasons are a repost from the Sharpie 500 review.  I may have changed the emoticons around a bit.

In reference to the race this weekend and whether or not to watch. My feelings are mixed. Keep in mind I am trying to be a rational person when I state my views.  Confused, but rational.

Reason to watch: I love racing and it is a weekend tradition.   Smiley
Reason not to watch: Nascar has messed with tradition.   :cry:

Reason to watch: It is what it is and we are stuck with their rules so sit back and watch as usual.  :twisted:
Reason not to watch: Just to show them I don't have to because they took away a tradition.  Sad

Reason to watch: I am a Nascar fan.   Cool
Reason not to watch: Me being a fan means nothing to Nascar.   :cry:

Reason to watch: What else would I do?  :?
Reason not to watch: I could go to coast and look for whales. 1 1/2 hour drive for a magnifcent view of ocean and whales.  Cool

Reason to watch: I am hoplessly hooked on racing.  :shock:
Reason not to watch: I need to develop other interests.  Cool

Reason to watch: It is trendy.  :roll:
Reason not to watch: I am a rebel, not trendy.  Tongue

Reason to watch: I would miss it if I don't.  Sad
Reason not to watch: Sometimes we need to miss something we like just so we don't become over spoiled.  :wink:

So I will make that decision on the spur of the moment and live with the consequences of my decision and face either the ire or the support of my forum friends who have had to make the same decision. Either way, it is a no win situation and we will be losers no matter which way we decide because, once again, it is what it is. Sad but true.
Lou
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2004, 06:20:37 PM »

I think I'm going to have to find a way to eliminate thos dreaded emoticons after Vivian's overdose....

:shock:

Lou

Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2004, 06:22:05 PM »

Hahahahaha!  Your post is so funny, Vivian!  But I know there is a serious side to your debate with yourself.

I guess I can certainly relate to one about being a big fan, but the part about NASCAR not caring about us is what really gets to me this year.  

Also the one about "what else would I do?"  That's always part of my problem as I've never been one to do a lot of things on weekends or holidays.  But this year, I'm determined to find something ANYTHING else to do on Sunday night.  Lou and I might go to a movie since we got some free passes from his boss.  I usually prefer watching movies in the comfort of our home, but maybe this time we can make an exception.  Besides all the people that annoy me in theaters will probably be glued to NBC with all the other "trendy" fans.   :wink:

I really wish I'd thought of my idea earlier of suggesting ESPN run a Southern 500 maraton up against the CA race Sunday.  I might have just emailed them, but now their programming is probably set, so it would be a waste of time.

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2004, 12:09:18 AM »

Lou, I will lay off the emoticons for a few posts.  Okay?  Are you happy now?  ;-)

Oops, I blew it again.   10 lashes with a cooked spaghetti.
marrtinigirl
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2004, 01:30:10 AM »

Vivian, I think the biggest reason not to watch is that if enough of us don't, even if it doesn't change anything right away, it will definitely send a message to the networks and to NASCAR.  All along we have all been complaining, yet week in and week out we sit in front of our TVs, just as they knew we would.  Now is the time to stand up, turn the TV off, and read a book if you have to.  It is time to stop complaining and start doing what IS in your control.  If you really don't want to miss it, go somewhere else to watch it, like a sports bar or bowling alley or somewhere that will show it so that your ratings aren't counted.

I know I won't be watching the race this weekend.  Let's show them that they counted their chickens a little too early when they proclaimed this perversion a success.  

Staci
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2004, 12:57:22 PM »

Quote from: "Vivian"
Lou, I will lay off the emoticons for a few posts.  Okay?  Are you happy now?  ;-)

Oops, I blew it again.   10 lashes with a cooked spaghetti.

Vivian, you go write ahead and use all the emoticons you want!  Lou had just overdosed on winkys and smilies since I like to use them so much in email and instant messages.  I can't help it, I think that is the only way to let people know when you are kidding about something.  As I know only too well, it is so easy to misunderstand someone's words on the Net.

I agree with Staci about finally doing something to show Brian France and ISC that we're [in the words of Peter Finch] "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!!!!!"  I honestly came up with the idea of not watching this weekend's race when they first announced they were pulling the Southern 500 from Darlington last year.  Trust me, if I can do it when it is so hard to not watch something you love, will be standing up for my principles (and rights) as a fan.  I'm not going to let them rob fans of wonderful racing at a historical venue and accept it lying down.  As they say, your mileage may vary.  No one at Speedcouch is going to ostracize you if you choose to watch the race.  Those of us who aren't just feel the need to speak our minds and vent our frustration.

Whew!  That's enough of a rant for this early in the morning.   :wink:

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2004, 06:05:05 PM »

While I was driving yesterday, Jim Croce was singing "You don't tug on Superman's cape, you don't spit into the wind, you don't pull the mask off the old Lone Ranger and you don't  mess around with-------"  So those are my thoughts..............
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: