November 20, 2017, 06:44:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AMEN!  (Read 542 times)
sally
« on: September 02, 2004, 08:53:52 PM »

I think this sums up my feelings pretty well.

http://www.delawareonline.com/newsjournal/sports/pitstops/09022004.html

http://www.journalpress.com/storydisplay.cfm?storyid=4752

Sally :cry:
Vivian
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2004, 11:27:12 PM »

Thank you, Sally.  My sentiments, exactly.  :cry:
sally
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2004, 02:06:02 AM »

Viv, I have to say it was encouraging to read from some "legit" media that losing the Southern 500 isn't just regarded as business as usual.  There was another great article link on Jayski, but it required registration to read it...sam opinion as these.  The fact that it was in a paper in California really blew me away!  Maybe enough fans of real racing will vote with their remotes this weekend to get someone's attention.
Sally
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2004, 12:29:06 PM »

Oh man!  That guy nailed it especially about bringing up that it's about the quality of the racing.  I wish I'd written that!  

Here's another good one by Monte Dutton:

http://www.gastongazette.com/portal/ASP/sports/nascar/nascarDisplay.asp?ID=1134

BTW, I forgot to mention that I introduced myself to Monte in the media center at Bristol last week.  There were a lot of TV and radio folks in there, but he was the only one that really seemed approachable to me.  I told him how much I enjoyed his work and he was so nice and thanked me for speaking to him.  A real southern gentleman!  

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2004, 03:59:53 PM »

Cheryl,

Funny that you mentioned Monte Dutton.  When I began my web site more than a year ago, he panned it because he thought my character was bigoted.

But it should be pointed out that part of his opinion may have been based on a column I wrote for Team Racin' at the time the site began.  In it, I gave Buddy Wayne a clear Southern accent and had him rail about the growing Hispanic immigrant population in North Carolina.  (I wrote that because I had learned that some of the pages of the web site of the government of Barefoot's hometown were in Spanish.  Then again, he probably wouldn't have been used to the Hispanics' presence as we are here in California.  Also, Benson, NC, population 3,000, was the last place I suspected had a Hispanic community.)

I apologized to him and others about the slur, and I have since refined the character so that he sounds more professional.  However, he will always be America's most beloved bumpkin Smiley

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Vivian
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2004, 05:39:34 PM »

Monte Dutton's article was great also.  IMO, the drivers say what they say because they have no say at all.  Might as well accept it and live with it.  They have been totally conditioned to believe that it is what it is and it has to stay that way regardless.  The ruler has spoken and either play his way or don't play.  It is his ball.  I think his (Brian) slogan must be "You can either agree with me or be wrong."   :roll:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: