November 24, 2017, 02:52:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Daytona Qualifying Cancelled  (Read 421 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: July 03, 2009, 10:23:07 PM »

Just absurd!   Roll Eyes  They cancel qualifying for the "big" series just so two people can qualifying for the Busch race tonight? 

I understand they have the Busch race at 8 tonight, but what about ALL morning tomorrow at the track?  Yes, I know the sports car series runs at 2 p.m., but that would give them from 10 in the morning until around 1 to get Cup qualifying done.  Talk about more stupid decisions by the sanctioning body!  Why on earth would they hold quals for both series on the same day at a track that's known for afternoon rain in the summer? 

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 09:54:59 PM »

I'm with you, Cheryl!

I think the big problem is that, with the centralized television contracts, NASCAR feels like everything must stay to the schedule.  If weather does not allow for practice and/or qualifying, it is simply sacrificed in favor of race coverage on TV.

At one time, NASCAR had two rounds of qualifying, which would become one round in case of rain or other issues.  The last year of that structure was 2000 - and the next year, the TV contracts were centralized.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 12:31:43 PM »

Interesting article from Rea White of Scene Daily.  When I saw the bizarre schedule for this weekend, I couldn't believe it.  Practice and qualifying on Thursday night??  At the end of the article Rea says the same thing I suggested for Daytona:  cars practicing and qualifying on the same day (night) they race...

http://www.scenedaily.com/news/articles/sprintcupseries/Rea_White_More_two-day_race_weekends_in_order_in_tough_economy.html

Cheryl
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: