November 19, 2017, 04:06:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bill Weber Replaced on TNT!  (Read 923 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: June 28, 2009, 04:56:50 PM »

Just heard on the XM pre-race show that TNT has replaced Bill Weber in the booth!  They will only say "it is an internal matter."  Wow!  This is big!  XM reports that Ralph Sheheen will replace him in the booth today.

Wonder what is up with this??? Shocked

Cheryl
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 01:15:09 AM »

No idea what's up but after watching todays race Petty, Dallenbach and Sheheen  need to be in the booth for the rest of 2009.

I tuned in to watch a Nationwide race and all I got was Danica.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 12:13:11 PM »

Just heard Mike Bagley on Sirius XM say that Scene Daily is reporting "there was some sort of confrontation at his hotel on Friday night."

I have enjoyed the TNT broadcasts this season.  Sheehen was good, but I didn't have that big of a problem with Weber either.  Just wish they didn't feel they need McReynolds or any car demos during the race.  My ears really need a rest from Larry's voice...

I really think TWO pre-race shows is ridiculous overkill and taking 1 1/2 hours.  Especially yesterday, NASCAR should've started the race an hour or even 1/2 hour early.  That way, they could've got all 301 miles in.  I mean, how many races could they have gotten in completely if they didn't start at these ridicuously late times??? Angry

Cheryl
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 12:15:03 PM by Cheryl » Logged
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 11:53:56 PM »

Ralph Sheheen did a great job filling in.  If Bill returns for this week's race, he will have a high standard to meet.

I can't understand 90 minutes of pre-race, either, unless Turner Sports overpaid NASCAR so much for rights to televise only six races that these shows are the only way they know to pay those fees back.  And as to your point of earlier start times, there has still never been a 301-lap race at New Hampshire.  The reason for the unusual advertised distance is the race's sponsor.  I wonder if it'll ever get a return on investment.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 07:42:38 PM »

I was asking you about what you thought of this last night in the chat when everything froze up on us.  I had just seen in the Scene Daily email that Weber is out for the rest of the season (Daytona and Chicago).  Whatever he did, the powers that be at TNT must not be very happy with him.   Shocked

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 06:51:22 PM »

We can only speculate.

Was it the confrontation?  Was it something he said?  Was it an accumulation of incidents?  Or was it the great reviews for Sheheen's performance?

As I suggested at another forum, Mike Joy should be considered for next year if Weber's departure is permanent.  He is already familiar with Larry McReynolds and Matt Yocum, who are also on the TNT team.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 08:10:40 PM »

Fox is not about to let their lead announcer work for another network. 

I'd love to see Allen Bestwick back in the booth, but I'm sure ESPnh wouldn't let him go to TNT either.

Cheryl
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: