November 23, 2017, 04:11:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hurricane Frances  (Read 2575 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2004, 12:53:28 PM »

Quote from: "ronbarnes77"
cheryl it'll be my first time  going  got decent  in the backstretch stands maybe we can hook up at some point.

Sure!  That would be neat.  On my other racing group on the Net, we always used to try and meet in person if we were going to be at the same races.  It's pretty neat as I've probably met about 50 out of the 80 members over the last 9 years.  

When do you plan to arrive at the track?  Our seats are in turn 1, but our camping spot is in turn 3.  We don't usually go to our seats until about an hour or so before race time.  

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2004, 04:32:20 PM »

Back to the storm...

From the news reports, I can sense that Floridians are getting anxious and impatient, and why not?  The movement of the storm has slowed to only five miles per hour, way down from 17 mph when JW began covering this thread.

The good news, relatively speaking, is that the wind speed is down 30 percent to 105 mph, enough to reduce Frances from Category 4 to Category 2.

Then again, many parts of Florida will be hit for a second time, setting back the progress of all recovery efforts.

In the Nextel Cup garage, the most concerned people would be Mark Martin, Joe Nemechek, and Bill Weber.  All are either from Florida or live there.

BTW, it's sunny and expected to be about 90 degrees in Fontana today and tomorrow.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Vivian
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2004, 06:20:40 PM »

The hurricane is scary but being an ex Floridian, many people do tend to take it in stride as they are common.  The worst one I was ever in was Donna back in 1960.  (Giving my age again) We were without water and electricity for almost 2 weeks and it was tiring cleaning up all the trees and stuff that were downed.  Our house made it but 2 of my brothers slept right through it while the rest of the family stayed up to watch and ready to take cover.  I know Andrew and Charley were worse but we were in central fla and my brothers are still there near the Orlando area.  They did not evacuate nor did many of their neighbors.  My brothers are optimistic at this point.  I guess like CA people with earthquake rumblings, some people just live with it like they do in the midwest when it comes to tornadoes.  Take precaution, yes, but stay put.  If you are on the coast that is different...run far....
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2004, 07:42:14 PM »

JW,

Just wanted to make sure you were ready for the arrival of the storm in your area, since Hurricane Frances has long crossed into Florida.

It should get where you are sometime Monday night.

Current wind speed=90 mph; speed of travel=9 mph

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Vivian
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2004, 05:23:13 AM »

I finally was able to reach one of my brothers in Florida.  He gave me a site that I looked at and thought some of you might be interested.  There are some photos and several other interesting items.  The link is to the local ABC tv station in Orlando.

http://www.wftv.com/index.html

My brother lives in Tavares which is not far from Orlando.  It is also near Leesburg.  They had several trees go down but none hit their house.  No house or roof damage.  He told me the storm eye was 72 miles across whereas Charley's was only 5 miles across.  It did a lot of damage all across the state.  They were only without electric and phone for 3 days.  He has a business about 15 miles from his home and they have not been there since last Thursday.  Too bad to travel.  His son lives about 20 miles from him and it took him almost 2 hours to drive that far yesterday.  Interstate 75 up the middle of FL into Georgia was backed up over 20 miles with stopped traffic last week with people leaving the state.  It was the worst storm he had ever experienced and said the news reported that due to the size of the eye and the slow rate it traveled that it was the worst hurricane in the last 100 years.  I don't think any of the news we saw out here even began to show us what was really happening.  It was just such a relief to hear his phone ring today rather than the fast busy I had been getting since last Friday.  He had also talked to my other brother who lives in Sanford (Cheryl, you and Lou took the train into Sanford when you went to Lakeland to the Hooters race last year) and they did not suffer any damage to their home either.  Just a few trees down.

They are now preparing for Ivan and my nephew said he and family will evacuate for this one.  My brother will not.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2004, 01:17:41 PM »

Vivian,

It's great to hear your family is all safe!  The hurricane really was something else!  I cannot imagine being pounded by winds and rain for as long as it took it to move across Florida.

We were fortunate that all local ABC affiliate in Baltimore was broadcasting special coverage on one of their digital channels all weekend.  I just happened across it, but we watched it much of the time.  It was a feed from several local Florida stations (commercial-free) with live reporters in areas like Palm Beach and showing a lot of pictures of the flooding, trees down, etc.  Certainly a lot more comprehensive coverage than they showed on the Weather Channel, which seems to have turned into Fox or NBC with about 10 minutes of coverage and then 5 minutes of commercials.

Again, glad everyone in Flordia seems to have made it through without personal injury.  We heard from a friend of ours, a USAR official who lives in Orlando Sunday night that he and his family were fine as well.

Cheryl
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2004, 03:22:52 PM »

cheryl it would be neat to finally meet you at richmond but i may not be able to come because my parent's condo in fort meyers was damaged and may be a total loss. if i do go i will let you know on what day i will arrive. maybe i will come fri night stay till for the race and then go to fla on sun i don't know.
Vivian
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2004, 05:26:11 PM »

Ron, so sorry about your folks' place.  Hope they didn't get looted or anything like that.  Where are they now?
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2004, 06:54:08 PM »

vivian  they live in new jersey but were planning to retire next feb and move down there for good. they're going down gto inspect the damage thurs.
Vivian
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2004, 05:53:57 PM »

Just went to that link for wftv and they have posted more pictures.  There are 2 photo links.  The original damage photos have 11 more and then there are some under the sinkholes story.  Check them out.

http://www.wftv.com
sally
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2004, 05:56:22 PM »

Poor Florida...now Ivan is on the way, and it lokks as if it's even more powerful than Francis.
Sally
Vivian
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2004, 09:26:27 PM »

Saw on CNN at 11am pacific this morning that they have mandatory evacuation for the Florida Keys now and that Ivan could totally devastate some of the islands.  Also said FL's citrus crop is effected, especially the grapefruit.  My brother sends me big boxes of oranges and grapefruit every year just before Christmas but with that news, it may not happen this year.

This has turned into a really bad year for hurricanes.  Sad
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: