November 20, 2017, 02:42:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hurricane Frances  (Read 2574 times)
jw
Wiley Veteran

« on: September 01, 2004, 03:40:08 PM »

As of this post, Frances has winds of 140mph & is heading WNW at 17mph.
It is currently forecast to make landfall somewhere in Florida as early as
Friday.  On it's current path, Frances could go through a large portion of
Florida during the weekend.  Where I live in SW Georgia, Frances is forecasted to visit here as well with Tropical Storm Strength winds. Even
at my workplace, the bossman is putting everyone on notice not to go
out of town for the weekend & prepare for an "extreme weather situation".
  Let's remember those who will need to get out of harm's way in our
thoughts & prayers
Lou
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2004, 03:53:49 PM »

Racing is certainly far, far less important than real life situations such as the impending hurricane.

As you may know, Cheryl and I follow the USAR Hooters ProCup Series and they have a race scheduled for Lakeland Florida this coming Saturday night. There has been no word put out by the series about cancelling or postponing the weekend yet.

Most USAR teams do not travel until the day before the race and the fans are usually local, so there is time for the Series to "get the word out" should they modify their plans. Had this been a Winston Cup weekend, say in Daytona for instance, a decision would probably have to be made way earlier due to the volume of fans traveling to the circus.

What are your thought on when events should be postponed for situations such as this?

Lou

jw
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2004, 06:38:57 PM »

If Frances continues WNW at current speed(16 mph),  it looks like somewhere south of Florida's Space Coast sometime Friday.  Looking at
other weather websites, watches are anticipated to be posted on Florida's
East Coast later today.
Vivian
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2004, 07:36:21 PM »

Thoughts are there.  I have family in the Orlando and Sanford area so I am always watching the weather there and thinking positive thoughts.
jw
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2004, 06:29:53 AM »

Late Wednesday Night
--------------------------
 Forecasters underestimated the strength of the high steering Frances, thus a major hit is becoming a disturbing possibility Friday anywhere
between the Space Coast & Miami.
 Seeing some late projections was equally unsettling for North Florida
& Southwest Georgia.  Late Saturday Night, the area that I live in may see
winds of 70mph or HIGHER depending on the storm's track.

Let's keep positive thoughts & hope for the best for those that will be
affected.
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2004, 04:18:07 PM »

What is going on in Florida?!

First Charley, soon Frances.  

How far will Bush and Kerry exploit these disasters for political gain?  After all, the picture is no clearer now than it was in 2000.

Right now, winds are the same but movement is down to 13 mph, so there could be a little more time for preparations in Florida.  However, the annual Florida State-Miami football game is more likely to be postponed now, because landfall will be later.

God bless the "Sunshine State"--again.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2004, 11:32:34 PM »

Right now, winds are down slightly to 140 mph, while the speed has decreased to 10 mph.  The landfall will be somewhere on the east coast of Florida, between Fort Lauderdale and Daytona Beach, unless there is a massive change.

The football game between Florida State and Miami has been postponed until Friday, Sept. 10.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2004, 12:16:34 PM »

Well, getting back to Lou's original question, I think Hooters did the right thing in deciding to cancel this weekend's race.  They made the decision yesterday morning.  My opinion is it's not right to bring all those people down into Florida with the possibility of dangerous weather moving in after they get there.

Luckily Hooters has an off-weekend on Sept 18, so they can reschedule the Lakeland race for then.

Cheryl
sally
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2004, 03:02:33 PM »

What does Nascar do if Francis wreaks havoc with Richmond?  No wiggle room in their schedule.  Hmmm.
Sally
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2004, 03:34:59 PM »

does anybody know if thehe is damage to the the track in richmond i have tickets to that race i need to know by tues. :?
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2004, 03:35:48 PM »

Can't answer Sally's question, but I can tell you that both the wind speed and movement have slowed.  The current respective numbers are 120mph and 9mph.

The decreased forward speed could delay landfall to Sunday night--about the time the Pop Secret 500 begins.

Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2004, 03:37:31 PM »

Ron,

Although there was some flooding on the track and some roads remain closed, Richmond International Raceway officials insist that next weekend's program will continue as scheduled.

Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2004, 03:45:20 PM »

Quote from: "ronbarnes77"
does anybody know if thehe is damage to the the track in richmond i have tickets to that race i need to know by tues. :?

I'm pretty sure the Richmond track is fine, Ron.  I saw on Jayski (or somewhere yesterday) that some teams still tested there earlier this week.  There were reports of high water 6 blocks from the track, but the item said that was wrong; that it was 6 blocks from the reporter's house or something.  Typical misinformation by reporters.   :wink:

I didn't know you were going to Richmond!  Cool!  Have you been there before or is this your first time?

Lou and I will be there too.  We're heading down Wednesday after work to be there early Thursday and catch all the practice and IROC and truck stuff on Thursday.

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2004, 05:23:13 PM »

If the race goes on, I hope all of you guys can get together there.  That would be cool.   Cool
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2004, 09:36:40 PM »

cheryl it'll be my first time  going  got decent  in the backstretch stands maybe we can hook up at some point.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: