November 22, 2017, 06:29:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: For Once I Agree With Pablo  (Read 488 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: May 26, 2009, 01:04:37 PM »

on the question of double-file restarts:

http://www.scenedaily.com/news/articles/sprintcupseries/Earnhardt_Ganassi_Racings_Juan_Pablo_Montoya_says_double-file_restarts_are_stupid.html

All last week, the media was pushing these (after the All-Star Race).  I am dead-set against anything more contrived for racing!  Letting the 2nd place guy restart next to the leader is completely unfair and totally takes away the advantage the leader has earned.  But with all the media calling for double-file restarts and now many fans who are possibly the "vocal minority" calling for them, I really fear NA$CAR may go this way soon.  Just another step further down the road of making racing into nothing but "entertainment" that they started on with the fricking Lucky Dog and the Chase... Angry  Isn't there enough welfare already with these other changes?  Personally, I find it extremely exciting seeing the lapped cars fighting the leader to EARN their laps back the old-fashioned way and from what I hear on scanners, the drivers and team would rather earn their laps back instead of being given the welfare of the free pass...

Cheryl
shawn
Legend

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 07:09:48 PM »

Local short tracks around me use a double file restart until 1/2 way then its single file and I'm pretty sure lap cars just fall inline with the lead lap cars.  I will say that it does create more opportunities for passing, but I'm not sure how well it'll work with NASCAR.

Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 07:20:03 PM »

Yes, all the late model stuff I've seen in the south is the same way, Shawn, but I don't like the idea in NASCAR.  Just seems like the leader worked so hard to get the lead - and that the 2nd place car shouldn't be put right next to him on restarts.  They've been using it in the East/West divisions the last two seasons, so I had a feeling it was only a matter of time before someone suggested it for Cup.  In one of the West races this season, it was a one groove track (with the upper groove being preferred), so every restart the 2nd place guy was guaranteed to get the lead.  So it was just a matter of how many cautions at the end and whoever lucked out getting the higher groove...

The whole deal just seems too contrived for me.  Heck, I want to see more passing or lead changes, but when someone actually EARNS it, you know?  They need to work more on getting rid of aero push or creating two (or more grooves) at tracks, rather than adding another gimmick to make up for the inability to actually catch and pass the leader.

Cheryl
cowboy271
Grizzled Veteran

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 01:57:38 AM »

As a woman once told me many years ago; "I know I'm gonna regret this in the morning", but here goes.  I'm all for double file restarts among the race leaders.  I can't see why a lap down car should have a more advantageous position on the track for restarts than the cars ahead of them.  I have no problem with the second place car (who most likely earned his position) having a clean shot at the leader on restarts as opposed to a lapped teammate coincidentally the first lap down car affecting the outcome of the race.  The problem with the "one groove" tracks (or even multiple groove tracks) would be easily resolved by giving the leader the option of which line to start on like the current race start rules.   IMHO, the fastest cars belong at the front on restarts.

I'm keeping with NASCAR's theme.."Idiot of Tomorrow" so Speedcouch needs a new resident idiot.
shawn
Legend

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 04:31:19 PM »

They could go to what is called a Delaware restart.  The leader is alone on the front row, then the following rows double up.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: