November 23, 2017, 12:12:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: All I Can Say...  (Read 685 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: April 27, 2009, 11:59:09 AM »

Is the finish of that race was just appalling!  It doesn't matter who made that move to cause the big wreck and injure fans, I would feel the same way.  The driver has the choice to back off the accelerator and in this case, there was room behind the leader to back off and still not go below the yellow line. 

I saw way too many drivers all weekend (plenty I like and some I don't) who were driving crazy!  I'm just glad the drivers are okay and it sounds like there were no serious injuries to the fans in the grandstand, which is a miracle IMHO...

I also feel bad for Mark who was so close to the top 12 and David Gilliland who qualified well and had he had a decent finish would've been in the top 35.  Instead they both get taken out after only 5-6 laps, along with a lot of other good cars.

But I agree with Carl and Marcos that NASCAR won't change anything until someone gets killed.   Angry

Edit:  Just heard about this on Sirius and here is what Jayski has on the injuries:

"Spectators suffered injuries at the end of the Aaron's 499 Sunday when the #99 Ford of Carl Edwards went airborne and slammed into the catchfence on the frontstretch. "None of the injuries are dangerous or life-threatening," said Dr. Bobby Lewis, medical director at Talladega Superspeedway. "It's mostly bumps and bruises with possible minor fractures." Two women were airlifted to an area hospital, but Lewis said that was for traffic concerns and not because of the severity of their injuries. "One has a lacerated lip and possible broken jaw," Lewis said. "The other person was not injured, but has unrelated medical problems." When the car hit the catchfence, pieces exploded off the car as catch fencing bent back severely, but did not break. "I'm not sure if it was pieces of car or pieces of debris from the fence that hurt the spectators," Lewis said.(ESPN)"

Cheryl
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 12:16:34 PM by Cheryl » Logged
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 01:21:45 PM »

Update on the injured fans:

"UPDATE on fan: A woman who was injured during a wreck at Talladega Superspeedway is listed in fair condition at UAB Hospital. Another woman who was taken to Brookwood Hospital in Birmingham for treatment of a medical condition after the wreck was discharged Sunday night. Her name was not released. A spokesman for UAB Hospital said the fan still being treated, Blake Bobbitt, was in fair condition Monday afternoon. Seven fans sustained minor injuries caused by flying debris Sunday when Carl Edwards' car went into the safety fence on the final lap of the Aaron's 499 at Talladega Superspeedway. The other injured fans received treatment at the track and did not have to go to a hospital.(ESPN/AP).

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 04:37:40 PM »

I have never felt so many emotions after a race than after this past Sunday's.

I saw Brad Keselowski's move to win the race and I felt badly for him.  Would he be stripped of the win due to rough driving?  And will he now be booed everywhere he goes from now on?  That was a fairytale win, but at what price?  That was because I learned that this was all he could do short of dipping below the yellow line.  Then there was all that debris.  Is everyone OK?  The broadcast just confused me, and it was hours after the race before I learned of all the injuries.

Finally, I laughed my head off at Carl Edwards' impersonation of Ricky Bobby. laugh

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
cowboy271
Grizzled Veteran

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 09:07:54 PM »

It's fortunate that no one was killed, but I can't give NASCAR any credit there.  I've hated the plates since their inception despite all of NASCAR's rule changes to make it "safer".   I really hate to see driver's put themselves at greater risk than other tracks to put on a "SHOW".  That's all it is...a stupid SHOW.  Comparing what takes place at Daytona and 'Dega to racing is like comparing synchronized swimming to water polo...yep, they race on asphalt and swim in water but the similarity ends there.

Perhaps I should rephrase:  I hate plate racing, I detest plate racing, I abhor plate racing and the NASCAR talking heads who proclaim the plate races to be the favorite of fans are as clueless as the rest of NASCAR regarding the sentiments of 'REAL" race fans.  I'd probably be happier if they bulldozed 'Dega and Daytona and built two more cookie cutters and I'm not a fan of the cookie cutter tracks either.  I'm probably better off waiting for Santa Claus than NASCAR making a change.

My rants over..hope I haven't offended to many folks; but I'm a little PO'd still.

I'm keeping with NASCAR's theme.."Idiot of Tomorrow" so Speedcouch needs a new resident idiot.
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 04:00:45 PM »

AMEN, AMEN, AMEN.!!!! Angry
I absolutely detest Plate racing, especially Talledega. Now, obviously, two of my favorites were involved in big wrecks last weekend, so I suppose I'm biased, but till I saw Matt get out of the car Saturday, I swear that my old heart stopped for a few seconds! His wife, Katie, is expecting, of course, and I can only imagine what was going through her mind. I don't want to see anyone killed, or hurt like Bobby Allison was. Why can't Nascar remember the Allison crash, the Bodine crash at Daytona, (I was there for that one), or, of course, the loss of ole Ironhead. It is gonna happen again, folks. Mark my words,.... Angry

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 12:14:21 PM »

Don't get me wrong, I really, really hate the plates, but - I think this race was caused more by the yellow line rule (beyond the drivers themselves).  NASCAR needs to get rid of that rule!  I've never liked  it and it was only instituted by an "almost" wreck at Daytona in 1999.  Since it's gone into effect, we've had drivers go to Victory Lane who should've been penalized for passing below the line, drivers penalized for going below it, a driver denied his first win going below it, and now a driver sending another driver airborne because they didn't back off and didn't want to go below the line.  So, tell me, what exactly have been the benefits of the yellow line rule again? 

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 02:31:52 PM »

Yep.

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 02:56:19 PM »

Here's an article on all this that sums it up pretty well IMHO:

http://www.stockcarreview.com/id587.html