November 20, 2017, 01:32:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ESPN's coverage of Nashville Race  (Read 659 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: April 13, 2009, 01:47:21 PM »

I really don't know why ESPN won't use Allen Bestwick in the booth!  Although he'd toned down a bit from his WWF annoucing a few years ago in the truck series, I still don't care for Marty Reid much. 

ESPN also didn't bother to show on the ticker how many laps down cars were for much of the race.  In addition, they'd get to the mid-30s and just cut the ticker off which was frustrating for those wanted to see how a few of the drivers in the back of the back were running.

Also, after 2-3 years, Jamie still seems clueless about stock cars.  After Nemechek's wreck, which bent his roof flaps, she said something like "with all that damage, they are only worried about the roof flaps..."  Well, duh Jamie, they are major safety feature and NASCAR was not about to let them go back on the track without them being able to go back down and deploy properly if he had another wreck.  That's just sad that most fans knows what the roof flaps are for and a pit reporter doesn't.

I was also disappointed that ESPN didn't interview Nemechek after the race or any of the other drivers who fell out early.  But then they didn't have time since the race ran a bit long for their alotted window.  Perhaps if they hadn't wasted 1 hour and 15 minutes on a pre-race show, they would've had more time at the end of the event.

Cheryl
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 09:02:24 PM »

I was busy with stuff while the race was on in the background but I was annoyed that ESPN stuck to its stories (Cup drivers, Allgier, Stenhouse,company cars) and ignored a field that was mostly Nationwide regulars. 
 I would like to ad that ESPN did a great job (for them) with qualifying. All cars were shown and most drivers were talked about. The big annoyance is still ESPN's habit of reducing the on track action to 1/4 of the screen.

I tuned in to watch a Nationwide race and all I got was Danica.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 12:31:22 PM »

I agree about qualifying, Brian.  Great point!  It was obvious, they didn't skip anyone while at commercial like Fox/Speed always does. 

As to the screen, that's obviously their way of compromising on SD/HD, but it still sucks if you have HD.  BTW, have you noticed the Weather Channel started something similar last week?  Instead of that great widescreen HD picture, they've started putting a graphic for a small radar/forecast on the left side of the screen and then a graphic with "highlights" at the bottom as well?  It's totally annoying to me when they already have the "local at the 8s" every 10 minutes.  I happened to watch the SD view the other day and realized they're apparently doing the same thing as ESPN where none of this is visible in the SD view.  What a total waste of HD if you're doing something like this for those paying the premium for HD channels! Roll Eyes

Cheryl
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: