November 25, 2017, 01:01:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Comcast Cup?  (Read 595 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: April 07, 2009, 02:15:11 PM »

Latest rumor from Jayksi:

"The Comcast Cup? Will Comcast buy Sprint? "As telco giants AT&T and Verizon move deeper into the TV business, cable giants like Comcast may have to get into the wireless business to compete. That could eventually involve Comcast buying Sprint Nextel, the No. 3 U.S. wireless carrier," writes Silicon Alley Insider. Comcast and Sprint are backing the Clearwire 4G wireless network, and its WiMax system. If Clearwire doesn't connect, and cash-rich Comcast decides it's easier to buy than build, "the most logical deal could be for Sprint, which currently has a $12 billion market cap," Insider says. "It's not a new idea. But it could make sense in the next few years." Citing a report from Pali Research, the article quotes Comcast CEO Brian Roberts at the annual cable show in Washington yesterday: “Wireless is a conundrum for the cable industry... AT&T and Verizon... are the super elephants. They’ve got all the market share..." He "avoided a clear answer to the question as to whether Clearwire was Comcast’s sole wireless strategy."(Philly.com)(4-6-2009)"

Ugh!  Another company I cannot stand possibly getting involved in racing... Roll Eyes

Cheryl
shawn
Legend

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 05:19:21 PM »

It's interesting that Nextel/Sprint/Comcast can change the name of the series to whatever they want, but companies like Cingular and Altel can't.

super61
Grizzled Veteran

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 11:17:10 PM »

as a side note, camping world has asked napcar to seek another title sponsor for the truck series. they might not make it the full 2009 season

ken

never under estimate what an angry mob can accomplish
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 02:09:09 AM »

Camping World story has been denied. Camping World is looking for a company to take over the sponsorship of the East and West Series.

I tuned in to watch a Nationwide race and all I got was Danica.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 12:20:26 PM »

From what I heard last year when Camping World stepped up to take over the truck series, they never intended to stay with the regional series after this year anyway. 

Cheryl
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: