November 24, 2017, 07:05:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: When will NASCAR Scene magazine pass away?  (Read 2948 times)
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« on: March 29, 2009, 02:00:52 AM »

I give it until the end of the 2009 season, if it can stick it out that long, when it becomes online only. I'm glad I let my subscription run out at the start of the 2008 season when I noticed they cut back on the Nationwide series coverage and started adding what I call Hollywood style features. The few issues I've scanned through this year have had minimal ads and I've noticed some features from years past have become web only.
 I remember the big issue before Daytona that showed photos of every car that qualified for the 500 and had a section that listed everyting you'd need to know about that years full time teams, everything from shop address to the floor sweeper's name. Haven't seen that in several years.
 It's sad. I've enjoyed the paper since 1991. Hope I'm wrong but I doubt we will see NASCAR Scene in print in 2010.

I tuned in to watch a Nationwide race and all I got was Danica.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 05:51:37 PM »

I couldn't agree more, Brian!  I've been subscribing about that long as well.  Every year, they try to get you to sign up for multiple years, but I only do one year at a time.  The past 3 years, I've considered dropping the subscription since there are so many ads, but I felt there were still some good stories.  But my favorite part were the fan letters.  So I figured the subscription cost of a little over a dollar a week was well worth it even if all I read were the letters.  Unfortunately, in the last month, I've seen the paper get thinner and thinner every week.  I don't know the number of pages in February, but about 3 weeks ago it went from 48 pages to 40 the next week and this week it is only 38 pages.  But what's worse, it the fan letters have been cut down from 2-3 pages to about 1/2 a page.  Absurd! 

I understand print media is taking a beating from the internet, but I honestly don't enjoy having my in-box being stuffed every day with the Scene Daily.  I understand I can unsubscribe, but on the off chance, there is a good story, I don't want to miss it.  But I really am disappointed with the printed paper lately.  I know I can log on to their website and read the letters, but I've never found that site to be that user friendly.  I used to wait for my paper to come every Wednesday and the first thing I'd turn to would be the letters, now it's just sad (as you said).

Cheryl
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 06:13:26 PM »

Action Performance or Motorsports Authentics, whatever the company is called this year, used to place multiple ads in Scene. I have not noticed any this year when I flip thru at the newsstand.
 I found the letters section started to become whiney and full of armchair drivers who in real life could barely drive their Family Truckster one block to the supermarket yet are experts on how an on track incident was caused and could have been avoided.

Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 04:30:16 PM »

Thanks for the updates!  The Scene paper used to be carried at Barnes & Noble in my hometown for about a month, but it is no longer there.  The magazine is still available, however.

I think that these posts refer to the paper, though.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 01:15:52 PM »

BTW, I got another annoying letter in the mail for me to re-up for two years for $104 yesterday.  With the money they spend on sending out these requests, they could add a few more pages to the paper.  So, I'm assuming they couldn't solicit subscriptions if they don't intend to stay afloat for two more years.  But, then again, what do I know?   Roll Eyes

Cheryl
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 02:10:32 AM »

.  So, I'm assuming they couldn't solicit subscriptions if they don't intend to stay afloat for two more years. 

I renewed my subscription to Blender Magazine in February and they quit with the April issue.

Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 12:18:44 PM »

I renewed my subscription to Blender Magazine in February and they quit with the April issue.

Did you get a pro-rated refund when they went under or not?

Cheryl
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 11:39:46 PM »

I've heard nothing from them, only what I read in the NY Post. I paid $9.95 for a one year renewal and received two issues. Two issues @ $9.95 is just a bit over the cover price if I'd bought them at the newsstand so I'm not going to complain.
  Blender is owned by the same company the publishes Maxim magazine so if they run out my subscription with Maxim that would be okay with me, even though I'm about 15 years over their targeted readers age.

drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 01:07:56 AM »

I actually purchased two copies this week. I was wandering around the supermarket looking for stuff to keep me busy in my motel room whne I found the Daytona and New Hampshire race issues for sale. What the heck, $6 and enough reading to keep me from turning the tv on. I noticed a slight improvement from the last time i flipped through and issue many months ago. Carolyn Brewster (not a fan) is back after being found only on the website. They added a winners and losers segment for Cup and Jr Cup series coverage. Page count was in the 50s after being as low as 30 something. and last I found some material that I had not already read in the newspaper of internet.
  Still dont' think they will make it past 2009 as a print publication and the only other issue I plan to buy this year is after the Watkins Glen race.

drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2009, 01:11:16 AM »

That last post of mine would earn a D in 2nd grade for spelling and grammer Shocked

Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2009, 12:34:21 PM »

The last month or six weeks, they've cut back significantly on the fan letters in the paper, which was the first thing I always look for when I get my copy in the mail.  Yeah, some of the fan letters can be over the top, but I always took them for what they were and got a lot of enterainment value out of them.  Now, they've cut them down to about 5 letters or two columns each week.  I know there are more on the website, but I'd rather see more in the print version.

Cheryl
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2009, 01:37:37 PM »

Well, I finally pulled the plug and didn't renew my subscription to the Scene when it ran out about a month ago.  I found I barely opened the papers the last few months.  Since they cut down on the letters to the editor and most of the stories were old news by the time the paper came, there really wasn't much reason to keep subscribing.  The price was very reasonable, so that wasn't the issue at all.  But all I've been doing with magazines recently was filling the recycle bin with them.  So I'm doing my part to save a few trees by not renewing.  It's sad that what was such a great paper 15 years ago, it a former shell of itself.  I understand they are facing too much competitioin from the internet, but if they've driven away a long-time subscriber like me because they've cut their paper in half since the beginning of this season, they really have little chance of surviving.   Sad

Cheryl
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2010, 03:25:43 AM »

Sadly I was right Sad

Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2010, 01:15:10 PM »

Yeah, Brian, I thought of you when this all went down a while back.  Now I feel conflicted about not renewing my subscription last fall.  On one hand, I'm part of the problem why they couldn't keep the print magazine going.  On the other hand, the content shrunk so drammatically last season, I couldn't see even spending a little over a $1 a week for it. 

Glad to see you are back with us at the Speedcouch forum!

Cheryl
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: