November 18, 2017, 11:20:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 47 Team Crew Member Suspended  (Read 433 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: March 11, 2009, 12:28:29 PM »

From Jayksi on the guy who chased the tire out into the grass on Sunday.

"Jimmy Watts, a crew member for the #47 team in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series, has been suspended from the next four Sprint Cup Series events (until April 22) for rule violations during last Sunday’s race at Atlanta Motor Speedway. Watts was found to have violated Sections 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing) and 9-15-U (crew members must not go on the race track for any reason while the cars are racing or while the cars are running under the yellow flag or the red flag, unless otherwise directed to do so by a NASCAR official). Watts has also been placed on NASCAR probation until Dec. 31. In addition, Frank Kerr, crew chief for the #47, has been placed on NASCAR probation until Dec. 31 for violating Sections 12-1 and 9-4-A (crew chief assumes responsibility for the actions of the team).(NASCAR PR)(3-10-2009)"

I recorded NASCAR Now from [very late] Monday night and watched it last night.  They had a team member from the 47 team on to explain what led up to the guy's mistake and it was kind of interesting.  I'd heard on XM that a member from another team had hit/kicked the loose tire and that's part of why it went flying out into the grass.  But there was a lot more going on apparently.  The crewman said that Marcos had stopped a bit sort in their pit box and they were blocking the 98 car's box a bit.  When they dropped the tire, a crewman from the 98 team actually threw the tire out towards the grass.  Then the crew chief of the 47 yelled "get that tire!"  The guy who went after it was the gasman, not a tire changer and was wearing that big apron, which slowed him down running after the tire.  Also the tire hit the pavement for the Legends track and that kept it rolling a lot farther than if it had hit the grass and probably would've stopped closer to pit road.  I'm not excusing what the guy did, but it's easy to see all that contributing to him losing site of where he was in relationship to the track.  Just thought it was kind of interesting.  IMHO, a 4 race suspension seems really harsh for all that happened.

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 08:01:15 AM »

I agree, Cheryl.  One or two races should have been enough.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: