November 23, 2017, 10:37:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just dribble on Sunday morn  (Read 747 times)
Smallblock bored
« on: August 29, 2004, 01:19:39 PM »

I was one time at a county fair, I would say “the county fair” but after this time through town, James E. Strattes failed to bring the roller coaster to Hamburg New York, it was nothing more than just another carnival. Just another carnival. After roasting a whole pig and having just a handful of friends show up for the long awaited night race at Bristol I sat for a moment pondering what went wrong. It seemed that with all that goes on at Bristol I was not the only one who was perhaps so prepared, that I rendered myself unprepared.
 NBC seemed to let me down a bit as the coverage of the race seemed to be a bit shallow. Seemed is a polite way of making an acusation. Perhaps it was due to the fact we had one of those rare Bristol races that saw few wrecks in comparison to commercial breaks. I even missed a commercial break when I flipped to the local coverage of the Buffalo Bills game and returned just in time to have TNT (yes NBC)  return to a commercial break. Commercial time was not an issue with me this time around, for the NASCAR version of Christmas that is Bristol under the lights. It was this. Perhaps my memory fails me but with so much going on at Bristol, in my opinion the coverage lacked the most exciting part of all. Radio inserts. It is a great joy to sit at home and hear what transpires between driver and crew during a race. TNT had a slim helping for what should, could, and is one of the spiciest races of the year. Rusty and his gas tank would be a great example if one was needed to provide an example. The coverage seemed almost hurried, but perhaps it was my own anxiety in waiting for something to happen that had my inner ear waiting for radio chatter.
  I just seem to want more from everything that is authority perhaps. It is one of the biggest reasons I’m so hard to get along with I’d say. But still I long for radio chatter, we all do. That’s why they sell radios at the track. Maybe permission has something to do with it. Censorship has already reared its ugly head in the "for of kid friendly" NASCARship, so I don’t see that as a reason.
  Have to go …I think I have a bite
 Oh yea the Pig, it seems my wife failed to mail out the invitations.
marrtinigirl
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2004, 04:30:54 PM »

On the way down to the race Saturday night, I was thinking about the post that Cheryl made about the Busch race being boring, and it reminded me that I found the spring race at Bristol to be a snoozefest this year.  

TV has defintiely taken the excitement out of the sport.  With all of their rushing to try to create excitement, they have actually killed what was already there.

It saddens me to read that you were disappointed with Sat.'s race.  That tells me that you really didn't get to see much of anything going on.  I realize that some people may not think it all that exciting that Jr lapped almost the whole field, but I am betting that that was all you got to see on TV.  But there was so much else going on there.  Everywhere you looked, there was hard racing going on.  People were rubbin and racin all over the place.  I haven't watched the tape yet, and probably won't.  I wanted to until I remembered the spring race, and then realized that watching the TV coverage would probably take away from what I had seen.  We paid lots of money for seats that hardly were used the entire night.  We stood, because there was always something going on that was worth standing for.  I have to say, it was one of the best races I have ever seen, and not just because of Jr.'s win (I was secretly wishing Rusty would win.)  

As far as hearing Rusty's radio transmission after he ran out of gas...Judging from what the lady sitting next to us with the scanner said, it definitely wasn't TV friendly.  She said he was cussing up a storm.  And I don't blame him, I'd be pissed, too.  He had such a good car.

I just can't believe that with all of the drama they are trying to create, they've definitely overlooked that it is right there under the lights...

Staci
BAM24/25
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2004, 09:43:56 PM »

Yes the TV coverage must have been bad because I thought it was one of the most boring Bristol races I have seen.  It certainly did not live up to my expectations.

You can't beat what you can't catch!"

John
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2004, 02:21:31 AM »

The first race I ever went to back in 2002, I didn't know what to look at because there was so much going on.  I had programed my VCR to record the race so I could watch it when I got home.  I could not believe the things I was watching that didn't show up on the broadcast.  And one thing was Dale Jr. coming up through the field.  

Another thing that came to mind is that TV does not do a live race justice.  Watching it on TV and being there in person is not even comparable.  So this got me thinking and I'll pose this question:  At some races, is there too much going on the race track for TV focus on?

While I can appreciate what Martinigirl is saying about what she saw at Bristol live, I was disappointed that there was no challenge for the lead in the closing laps like we are used to in past Bristol races (ex:  Rusty and Gordon bump and run).  It's what we expect from Bristol and it did not happen.

ommy Baldwin after Tropicana 400:  "This is NASCAR's world, we just live in it."
sally
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2004, 04:04:09 AM »

I think that TV could do a much better job covering what's going on in the races, but they continue to focus on a very few drivers most of the broadcast.  How often have you heard in the last 50 laps of the race, the announcers tell you that some driver has "appeared out of nowhere" to emerge near the front?  That driver had been working his way thru the field for many laps, but they haven't bothered to mention them because they're focusing on the chosen few.  Why show a leader running all alone, when there are plenty of places being contended?  Maybe the car sponsor hasn't purchased ad time?  They are now so busy promoting the crapshoot now, that no other cars exist for them.  With all the cameras they have at the tracks, they could certainly do a better job showing what happens than they do.

As Staci said, both races at Bristol were great to watch live.  I haven't seen the TV version yet, but I can guarantee it wasn't boring live.  With drivers having to work their way past lapped traffic, catching cars ahead of them, there was plenty of action that didn't (thank goodness) involve wrecks.

Sally
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: