November 20, 2017, 10:26:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The King and Kyle  (Read 559 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: February 19, 2009, 02:11:33 PM »

This is very sad...

From Jayski:

"Richard comments on Kyle's remarks: from a Dodge Motorsports NSCS Teleconference Transcript:
KYLE (PETTY) WAS VERY VOCAL DURING DAYTONA REGARDING THE 44ís PAINT SCHEME, HAVE YOU TALKED TO HIM ABOUT HIS COMMENTS?
A: "It kind of upset him because thatís where he started. He started with the 44 car at Daytona and was lucky enough to win the race. When we did our deal with Boston Ventures, we never had a place for Kyle at Petty Enterprises. He sort of got out of the loop. When he got out of the loop, heís been doing his own thingÖhe run the 24 (Rolex 24) and doing some TV. Iíve not seen him since Christmas. Heís been so busy, Iíve been so busy. He got snow-bound in Pittsburgh for a few days one time; we just really never have gotten together. Iíve really not talked to him. I spoke to him a couple of times on the phone; you canít get much done on the phone. He talked to his mother. He was really crushed that we didnít include him in that part of it, and I can understand that. We were so busy trying to get our end of the deal done and make it work with a new team that it fell through the crack and Iím sorry that it did."(Dodge Motorsport PR)(2-18-2009) "

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 05:14:25 PM »

Does anyone remember or has anyone looked up what Kyle Petty had to say originally?  Was he happy to see it, or was it too painful for him to see it, or did he say something else?

And is this the sign of a family rift?  If so, that would indeed be sad, and someone should work on that as quickly as possible.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
super61
Grizzled Veteran

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 06:59:45 PM »

Desmond, here are the comments. these were taken from the Caledonean Record

Petty Speaks Out: Kyle Petty is not at all happy about Petty Enterprises joining up with Gillett Motorsports, the new name being Richard Petty Motorsports. Reports have the name not reflecting Gillett is because the Petty (Richard) name is a good selling point.

Kyle said, "Petty Enterprises ceased to exist when it left Level Cross, N.C. It further ceased to exist whenever the other group bought it, and that's just a fact of life."

And what irks him the most is the No. 44 was painted up like the car he drove to his first ARCA win (in his first start) at Daytona in 1979. He drove cars numbered 44 for Petty Enterprises until his son Adam was killed in 2000. At that point he switched to his son's No. 45.

Kyle continued, "I was crushed, I was hurt, and I'm not going to get over it for a while. And that's a personal thing. That's me. That's not anything to do with anything else. That was my paint job and my car and my number and my stuff from my first win. Not for Petty Enterprises or GEM or whoever that is."

ē Richard Petty's comments on Kyle's remarks (from a Dodge Motorsports Teleconference Transcript). They asked - Kyle was very vocal during Daytona regarding the 44's paint scheme, have you talked to him about his comments?

Richard: "It kind of upset him because that's where he started. He started with the 44 car at Daytona and was lucky enough to win the race. When we did our deal with Boston Ventures, we never had a place for Kyle at Petty Enterprises.

"He sort of got out of the loop. When he got out of the loop, he's been doing his own thing ... he run the 24 (Rolex 24) and is doing some TV. I've not seen him since Christmas. He's been so busy, I've been so busy. He got snow-bound in Pittsburgh for a few days one time; we just really never have gotten together. I've really not talked to him. I spoke to him a couple of times on the phone; you can't get much done on the phone. He talked to his mother. He was really crushed that we didn't include him in that part of it, and I can understand that. We were so busy trying to get our end of the deal done and make it work with a new team that it fell through the crack and I'm sorry that it did."
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 07:01:46 PM by super61 » Logged

never under estimate what an angry mob can accomplish
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 01:16:10 AM »

Kyle explained on Sirius Speedway last week that the reason he was "crushed" and "hurt" about the #44 was that he did not find out about it until after the scheme was unveiled. Yes, he was bothered by the idea of the scheme being run by a non Petty team and a non Petty driver but if he'd known about it before hand he would not have been as upset.

I tuned in to watch a Nationwide race and all I got was Danica.
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 09:04:45 PM »

I'm sitting here reading this and thinking how sad it is. Hate to see a family split apart like this. Wonder how different things might have been if Adam were still alive and racing. Darn Shame.

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: