November 25, 2017, 06:55:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenseth wins Daytona 500  (Read 708 times)
Desmond
All-Star

« on: February 16, 2009, 06:17:00 PM »

How many of you had a clue that Matt Kenseth would win the Daytona 500?  Certainly I didn't.

First of all, his record at Daytona has been spotty.  I don't remember him finishing in the top 10 of this race before, although I may be wrong.  Then, he had to go to a backup car after a tire went down in the primary car on Thursday.  Officially, Kenseth started 39th although, according to the Fox telecast, it was actually 43rd.

We're seeing a pattern develop now.  Over the last few years, the prize has not gone to the swiftest, but to the most consistent and persistent:

*2009 - Kenseth wins despite the worst start in Daytona 500 history and also a crew chief (Drew Blickensderfer) he has never worked with before.
*2008 - Ryan Newman wins on the last lap, started 30th.
*2007 - Kevin Harvick roars back from 34th, wins on the last lap.
*2006 - Jimmie Johnson wins in a backup car (I think) after the crew chief was suspended.  Darian Grubb, like Blickensderfer with Kenseth, has never worked with Johnson before.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 01:21:43 PM »

It was great to see Matt get the win and he really has been forgotten in all the hoopla about the rain and Earnhardt.  But I remember him always running well at Daytona, but he never had the finishes to show it.  Always got taken out by someone else or in a big wreck.

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 03:11:59 PM »

Actually Cheryl, you are correct. Matt has run pretty well at Daytona for the last several years, but the results have not been so great. I was thinking about that before the race. Did I think he would win it? Nah, I figured the plate race demons would grab him again. Some believer I am!! Grin Grin

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 09:17:09 PM »

An AP article in todays local paper implied that Kenseth's win was someting NASCAR and FOX did not need. A win by one of the more popular drivers would help sell tickets to this weeks race and increase interest overall.
 I'll try and find a link.

I tuned in to watch a Nationwide race and all I got was Danica.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 09:24:29 PM »

I'm not surprised, Brian.  People were writing similar things before Speedweeks - that NA$CAR needed Earnhardt to win to sell tickets and spark interest from more folks in watching TV...It's really sad that some feel one driver makes or breaks the sport.  That's certainly not true IMHO...I enjoy it more when different guys win or someone like Kenseth who hasn't won in over a year. 

Cheryl
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 04:08:44 PM by Cheryl » Logged
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 09:25:53 PM »

OK. the papers website did not have the article but I found it somewhere else.

http://www.poststar.com/articles/2009/02/17/sports/today/14438874.txt

old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 03:47:25 PM »

I don't think I'll bother to read this article.  Angry

William James
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 09:09:01 PM »

It's not a bad article, no one is trashing Matt. Its the same article you'd see around World Series time if two small market teams made the Series and not the Yankees and Dodgers.

old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 12:18:06 AM »

Which is basically what happened this year. I guess I keep forgetting that you have FANS, on the one hand, and MONEY types on the other. As a fan, I don't care if Nascar takes a beating now and then. Believe me, I know very few people who are excited at the prospect of JJ winning a 4th consecutive Cup this year.

Btw, I don't mean to " shoot the messenger, Brian". I just don't have much appreciation for that kind of thinking. Smiley

William James
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: