November 21, 2017, 01:51:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ARCA Race (or lack there of...)  (Read 596 times)
Benson23Fan
Wiley Veteran

« on: February 09, 2009, 12:05:44 AM »

I must say that was probably the worst ARCA display at Daytona that I can remember. Similar to the 2005 race but that last incident with Patrick Sheltra was inexcusable. There was no reason for Hollenback to come flying in 10 seconds after the initial incident started and slamming Sheltra in the left side. Perhaps contact may have been unavoidable but there was no reason for Hollenback to be going that fast through the accident. It seems to be a pretty common problem with these ARCA drivers on the superspeedways. I just don't understand why their spotters aren't on the headsets telling these guys to slow down. Just a few minutes before the incident Hollenback almost nailed Bobby Gerhart who had just cut a tire and slammed the wall in turn one, again there was no excuse for Hollenback to be flying through that accident scene either. ARCA seriously needs to re-think their superspeedway program... yet again.
shawn
Legend

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 12:33:37 AM »

I was thinking the same thing with Hollenback.  I know that drivers need to gain experience and ARCA provides a good place to do that, but there were some bad accidents in that race.

super61
Grizzled Veteran

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 01:57:05 AM »

another reason (actually more than 20 wrecked reasons) that they should not run the superspeedways. it is the same thing year in and year out. too many drivers with no drafting experience wrecking and drivers who just dont seem to have a clue. i worked with a local crew that went to daytona in 2004 and we decided that was the last time we'd ever make that trip because it just isn't the place for those drivers to be. fortunately, no one was killed in that last wreck. but i am sure arca has some questions for Hollenback as to what he was thinking

never under estimate what an angry mob can accomplish
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 01:37:34 PM »

I agree with everyone about the ARCA race and Hollenback.  He shouldn't even be out there racing if that's the best he can do.  I was really, really frightened for Sheltra, especially since SPEED moved away from the accident and didn't give us any update for a long time.  That's never a good sign.  Lou read on the ARCA website that both drivers were kept in the hopsital overnight for observations and were "alert," but we haven't heard anything further about any injuries to Sheltra.

The problem with ARCA is that they pretty much will let anyone field a car, even if they aren't qualified on a superspeedway or are 20 mph slower than the leaders.  And I don't know if it was Hollenback's spotter's fault or not.  As they always say, he's the one with brake pedal...

Cheryl
Lou
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 04:15:55 PM »

Update from ARCA

ARCA RE/MAX Series Driver Injury Update (2-8-09)

ARCA RE/MAX Series drivers Larry Hollenbeck and Patrick Sheltra, involved in a late race accident during Saturday's Lucas Oil Slick Mist 200 at Daytona Int'l Speedway, remain under physicians' care at a local hospital, where they will remain for further evaluation.

According to team reports, Sheltra, from Indiantown Florida, has a compression fracture of the back. He will undergo further evaluation and is expected to be released to the care of his personal physician with no surgical procedure anticipated.

Hollenbeck, from Kalamazoo Michigan, is in good spirits and expects to be released to the care of his personal physician as early as Monday.

Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 06:12:17 PM »

According to the ESPN Bottom Line, Bobby Gerhart was also hospitalized, but was released yesterday.  The other two, as mentioned in the release, are still under care.

Also, Speed, which did not show replays during the live broadcast, showed it twice on The SPEED Report last night after stressing that both Sheltra and Hollenbeck were out of danger.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: