November 23, 2017, 12:41:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Scanner Frequencies  (Read 1443 times)
John
Wiley Veteran

« on: August 29, 2004, 04:25:49 AM »

Is that an acceptable topic here or is that a no-no?

ommy Baldwin after Tropicana 400:  "This is NASCAR's world, we just live in it."
Vivian
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2004, 06:38:56 PM »

John, hopefully, Cheryl or Lou will have an answer for you soon.  I know nothing about scanners, except the cop kind.  :wink:
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2004, 10:40:18 PM »

Quote from: "John"
Is that an acceptable topic here or is that a no-no?

Sure, what's your question?  That's definitely relevant to a racing forum.  Lou and I have had scanners for a while and are pretty knowledgeable about them.

Cheryl
John
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2004, 01:28:44 AM »

That's Great.  My wife and I are preparing for the trip to NH.  Last year I borrowed her father's scanner and I found a website for frequencies for MRN (I wish I could get a job with them) and different drivers.  I wanted to listen to a bit of the TNT broadcast over the scanner just for the heck of it.  I found it quite interesting to listen to the director for MRN telling everyone who is up next and what he says coming back from commercials etc.

Anyway, last year I could not find the frequency for the TV broadcast.  Anybody know it for this year?  That's all I was wondering. And any tips for scanner listening would be great.

Last year I had borrowed my sister's 35mm with zoom lense and brought it to the race as well.  I didn't have it down pat how to load the film and I brought in 3 rolls of film and only part of 1 had anything on it!  So any tips on scanner use would be great so I can concentrate on loading the film in my camera! :lol:

Thanks

ommy Baldwin after Tropicana 400:  "This is NASCAR's world, we just live in it."
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2004, 12:45:34 PM »

I'd advise you not to rely on scanner frequencies found on the net.  They are generally not up to date.  Many teams change their frequencies from day to day during a race weekend.  You can purchase an up-to-date listing from any of the scanner vendors at the track for $5.  The one we use will give you an update on each day you are there.  These are places like Racing Radios, Track-Scan, etc.  

You can find the TV frequencies by searching between the range of 450.000 to 451.000 on your scanner.  Lou can give you more details on how to do that as I always have trouble remembering the exact sequence for searching.  Fox and NBC use several frequencies in that range during each race.  One will have the "director talk" and some will cut that out.  

Like you, I enjoy listening to them too, particularly NBC/TNT as it's great to hear the producer/director "queue" the pit reporters during "Through the Field."  It's amazing how much is going on behind the scenes, but appears smooth and seamless on TV.

Cheryl
John
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2004, 02:03:33 AM »

I had great success with the list I had last year except the TV frequency.  Searching between 450.000 and 451.000 could take a while.  I should learn how to use the search function.

How early do they start broadcasting on the scanners and how much of a distance have you been able to get out of it?  When we are sitting in or around our car the morning of the race, do they start early enough that we could hear something?  Have you ever picked up qualifing for example, but not been at the track?

Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2004, 12:03:31 PM »

Quote from: "John"
I had great success with the list I had last year except the TV frequency.  Searching between 450.000 and 451.000 could take a while.  I should learn how to use the search function.

How early do they start broadcasting on the scanners and how much of a distance have you been able to get out of it?  When we are sitting in or around our car the morning of the race, do they start early enough that we could hear something?  Have you ever picked up qualifing for example, but not been at the track?

That's good on the list you had.  Many drivers never change frequencies.  Just some do every other day, such as the Gibbs' teams, but Lou saves all our old frequency lists and can always find them.   Cheesy

Searching really doesn't take long at all.  I just have a hard time remembering the sequence of keys to explain it to you here.  

We've been able to pick up scanner chatter as far away from the track as the campgrounds.  When you're IN the track, most people don't realize you don't even need to use an antenna because you are so close to them.  When you are in the parking lot or campground, you might need the short "stubby" antenna or the full size one depending on distance.

As to TV, it's hit and miss up until about half hour before they come on the air.  Sometimes you can catch them rehearsing or testing things earlier.  Trust me, you won't have to spend a lot of time finding a channel for them.  It is very easy.  Lou and I always find one during pre-race ceremonies.  

And, yes, quals are always on there.  Many times when we don't go up to the track for Busch quals, we can pick them up on the scanner at the campground.  It's pretty neat to hear the car sounds in the distance and to be able to clearly hear the TV announcers on the scanner.  Also we catch happy hour on there as well many times and can hear the drivers talking to their teams while we are relaxing at the campground.  

Cheryl
John
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2004, 02:31:57 PM »

Thats great, thanks.  I'll keep those things in mind and let you know how I make out, if I remember. :?

Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2004, 03:13:49 PM »

Lou and I are going to Richmond next week, so if I remember, I'll try to write down the TV frequencies we find and send them to you.  I just realized we'll be at that race before you go to NH.   :oops:   Besides not being able to spell anymore, I keep losing track of which race is when this year.  Perhaps, I need to follow Rusty's lead and retire (from being a fan) soon.   :wink:

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2004, 04:04:27 PM »

That is, if there is a race at Richmond.

Tropical Storm Gaston has hit the city, three people have died, there was lots of damage (especially downtown) and we don't know how badly RIR was damaged.

If the race were this weekend, I think it would have been canceled.  But there's still time.

Certainly, the fans will have fewer places to go to during the weekend, as bars and restaurants were devastated.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2004, 04:52:56 PM »

Quote from: "Desmond"
That is, if there is a race at Richmond.

Tropical Storm Gaston has hit the city, three people have died, there was lots of damage (especially downtown) and we don't know how badly RIR was damaged.  

I heard about the flooding in Richmond proper, but you have remember RIR is outside the city limits and I think it is pretty far from the waterways.  I'm sure it will be fine by next week.  When Fran hit there in 1996, they only had to postpone the Busch race from Friday until Sunday.  

Cheryl
John
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2004, 05:18:48 PM »

That would be great Cheryl, I'd appreciate that very much.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: