November 21, 2017, 10:27:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Penske Buys #22  (Read 622 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: February 04, 2009, 01:20:14 PM »

The ridiculous points swaps are continuing this year, but I guess I'm glad to see Bill Davis stay around racing.  From Jayski:

"Penske buys the #22, Davis a minority owner: Bill Davis is now a minority owner in Penske Racing. Penske has acquired Davis' #22 and will keep the number for further consideration to align with the #2 and #12. But for now, the #77 Mobil 1 Dodge driven by Sam Hornish Jr. will take the 22's owner points and start the 2009 season 31st, which guarantees it a position in the Daytona 500. "As a business person, you have to look at what your options are," Penske said by phone. "I think the key thing right now is it's too bad that anyone who has run a full season whether they're in the top 35 or not and I don't mean the ones that run a half season but if you run the full season last year, every car in every race, you hope you would be given some kind of priority."(FoxSports)(2-3-2009)."

Cheryl
shawn
Legend

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 05:05:11 PM »

I would have thought the 22 points would have gone to the group that bought Bill Davis Racing.

super61
Grizzled Veteran

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 05:44:47 PM »

you clearly need a scorecard to keep track of the mess this year.
glad to see bill and gail davis are still involved. they are some of the nicest people in racing

never under estimate what an angry mob can accomplish
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 06:44:45 PM »

I would have thought the 22 points would have gone to the group that bought Bill Davis Racing.

I would've thought so too, Shawn, but I've read that group had no interest in fielding a car this season, so maybe Davis held onto the rights to the number.  Since a number is obviously like currency these days with the top 35 rule and all. 

Cheryl
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 12:46:12 PM »

This is interesting, so Davis must have more of a stake in the company that I thought...

"New name for Penske's team: Bill Davis has become a minority owner of the team now known as Penske Championship Racing, a move giving Sam Hornish Jr. points that will guarantee him a spot in the season's first five races. With the addition of Davis, the team changed its name to Penske Championship Racing from Penske Racing. Bud Denker, the senior vice president of Penske Corporation, confirmed the move on Wednesday.(ESPN).

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 05:38:37 PM »

I think that the "Championship" part comes from the P.R. group that Bill Davis also owns.

There are also more possible points sales ahead.  ESPN is reporting that Earnhardt Ganassi Racing is still hoping to unload the points from the #01 and #15 teams from last year, which it closed at the merger.  RCR may buy one of the teams' points for Clint Bowyer (#33) despite denials.  Phoenix Racing may purchase the other.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 05:43:43 PM by Desmond » Logged

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: