November 24, 2017, 07:20:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gran Torino  (Read 888 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: February 02, 2009, 02:19:37 PM »

Desmond will be so proud of us!  Lou and I actually went to see a movie on Saturday - Gran Torino with Clint Eastwood.  Excellent movie, that I highly recommend.  My nephew gave us a $50 gift card for Christmas (he didn't know we don't often go to movies). so I wanted to use at least some of it up and had heard how good this movie was. 

We love movies, but prefer to wait until they come on DirecTV and watch them from the comfort of our LR, but this was a nice treat for for a change.  We went to the matinee and thankfully the movie didn't attract any kids, so it was pretty quiet.  I was just appalled at the size of a "medium" popcorn and soda.  Thankfully our gift card paid the $13.50 for those as well.  The soda was about a litre and I couldn't even hold it with one hand! Shocked 

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 06:12:27 PM »

Thanks, Cheryl!

There was once a car called the Gran Torino, I believe.  Does this film have anything to do with cars?

I also understand that this was one of the big Oscar snubs.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 06:18:03 PM »

There was once a car called the Gran Torino, I believe.  Does this film have anything to do with cars?

Yes, Clint has a 1972 Gran Torino in the movie and it's kind of a catalyst for a lot of things.  Haven't you seen the previews on TV?  They've been showing them since before xmas.

Cheryl
super61
Grizzled Veteran

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 06:40:58 PM »

great movie, two thumbs up!!!!!!!!!

never under estimate what an angry mob can accomplish
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 07:15:58 PM »

The Gran Torino was a Ford mid size model for several years. They actually raced several versions in the late 60's and early 70's. Mercury's version was the Cyclone. There were several special, aero versions, too. one was named the Talledega. It was a super speedway model to compete with the Dodge Daytonas and the Plynouth Superbirds, aka the "winged warriors"

One version or another were Ford's race cars for several years untill the T-Bird became all streamlined in the 80's (and Awesome Bill took over).

No doubt this is more than Desmond wanted to know. Grin

This movie is on my must see list. I'll be looking for old Clint to "make my day". Grin

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Lou
Administrator
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 01:51:29 AM »

great movie, two thumbs up!!!!!!!!!

As a viewer of all of Clint's movies over the many years, all I can say is this is vintage (pun intended) Eastwood and what his fans will love to see and hear.

I've now added a new thing to add to my repertoire to annoy Cheryl - the grunt/growl......

Lou

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: