November 23, 2017, 06:42:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 4 Month Delay in Digital Transition  (Read 643 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: January 27, 2009, 01:31:19 PM »

Not sure if anyone here is still receiving TV over the air, but I thought everyone might be interested in this article:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28863961/

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 05:57:05 PM »

There are no easy answers in this dilemma.

On one hand, there are millions of TV sets which only receive analog signals and the coupons for converter boxes aren't available.  On the other, the FCC has already allocated the current analog signals to fire departments, police departments, and wireless companies which are waiting to use them.

Oh, and I understand the FCC wanted to do this three years ago, only to postpone it over and over again in that time.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 07:01:13 PM »

It was suppose to be done several years ago and has postponed a few times - and now yet again.

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 07:34:10 PM »

I doubt that anybody wants to hear this, BUT, I can remember how pleased I was when my uncle gave me a used Channel Master antennae, complete with a rotor, to put on out first home in 1969. I mean to tell ya, it was great. Remember, PBS and UHF were in their infancy. On a good day, we could get 2 Dayton channels, 3 Cincinnati channels, and on a really good day, 2 or 3 out of Columbus, (fuzzy though they were). Our kids thought that was pretty neat. We didn't get cable untill sometime in the 80's.

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 01:23:06 PM »

We didn't get cable untill sometime in the 80's.

Hey, neither did I!   laugh  We didn't even have a rotar on our antenna at home.  Just aimed it at the compromise position for all the channels and left it there.  But we were very fortunate to be halfway between Baltimore and Washington, so we got two of each of the network stations without a lot of snow.  Then when I moved out, I had to make do with rabbit ears until I moved to where they had cable (in 1983). 

Lou and I actually got a roof antenna with a rotar back in 2002 when we first got our HDTV (so we could watch the Super Bowl in HD).   Back then there was a lot more HD on the OTA channel than on satellite or cable.  We still use the antenna for the locals on the Tivo and it came in handy yesterday when the ice on the dish was blocking the signal to all the HD channels.  We could watch the weather reports out of both Baltimore and Washington (satellite only gives us locals from Baltimore).   Grin

Cheryl
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: