November 18, 2017, 08:49:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Truck Race  (Read 895 times)
Vivian
« on: August 27, 2004, 12:26:38 AM »

Got to watch the truck race and there was some good racing.  Several drivers including Edwards came throught the pack to win and finish well.  It was a lot of good competition most of the race.  I did not like the way the last caution was reported on Nascar.com by some writer named Ryan Smithson.  He said Setzer got into the back of Mike Skinner and they both spun.  Did I watch the same race he did?  Looked to me like Dennis did get close to Skinner, but got a fender plus inside him and Skinner came down on Dennis and that is what caused them to spin.  Can someone tell me if I saw that right?  Or did Dennis actually get into Skinner's rear end as Smithson wrote and spin them both out???  Just had to ask everyone else's opinion as I saw that incident differently than that reporter for Nascar.  

I am looking forward to the Busch race tomorrow night and Hooters tonight.  Then Saturday we will see strategy and team work beginning to set the pace for the last 10 races, IMO.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2004, 01:16:59 PM »

Quote from: "Vivian"
Got to watch the truck race and there was some good racing.  Several drivers including Edwards came throught the pack to win and finish well.  It was a lot of good competition most of the race.  I did not like the way the last caution was reported on Nascar.com by some writer named Ryan Smithson.  He said Setzer got into the back of Mike Skinner and they both spun.

Vivian, since we were at the race, it figures we weren't looking right at it when it happened.  However, I knew something was going to happen between the two of them eventually.  

Then, yesterday, driving home we were listening to XM and Claire B. Lang had quotes from both teams, which apparently nearly had a comfrontation in the garage after the race.  Apparently, Setzer had been warned by NASCAR not to use the "bump and run" to pass Skinner.  Setzer's crew chief was upset that Skinner had not been issued the same warning.  And then, supposedly when Setzer got by Skinner clean, Skinner cut down on him, causing the wreck.

What bothers me about this whole thing is since when does NASCAR go out of their way to tell a person contening for the points championship to watch how he passes someone?Huh?  And neither of these guys were going for the lead or win in the race.  I hate to be a conspiracy theorist, but it seems like either NASCAR doesn't like Setzer or it had more to do with the fact Skinner was the top running Toyota and they wanted him to have a good finish so they could stay in that manufacturer's good graces.  

Whatever, in the end, I heard NASCAR did penalize Skinner for causing the wreck and dropped him to 23rd position, but well after the race ended.  Of course, Setzer was "penalized" by being dropped to 16th from a top 10 finish because of Skinner's move.  So intend of closing in on Hamilton in the points, he lost more ground to him in the points.

What surprised me about the race was that the veterans Cup drivers, Hamilton, Musgrave and Schrader ran like crap all night.  Can't say that broke my heart, but it was surprising.  I was glad to see Carl Edwards get the win.  He was running like a scalded dog from about halfway and you could see him moving up through the field.  So glad to see him get by Hmiel (who I don't care for at all).  Also glad that Hmiel raced him clean at the end.  It would've been so easy for him to take a cheap shot to get the win and he raced Carl clean.  

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2004, 05:41:27 PM »

That is an interesting report, Cheryl. Hard to believe that Nascar said anything to Setzer at all. Talk about micro management!
   I really like Carl Edwards, but in fairness to Hmiel, he was very gracious in his post race interview and was complimentary to Carl.

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2004, 06:06:32 PM »

Quote from: "old hot rodder"
That is an interesting report, Cheryl. Hard to believe that Nascar said anything to Setzer at all. Talk about micro management!
   I really like Carl Edwards, but in fairness to Hmiel, he was very gracious in his post race interview and was complimentary to Carl.

I did hear that on XM yesterday as well.  Carl even sounded surprised that Shane didn't bump him.   :lol:   Apparently, they play racketball together a lot and Carl whoops him there and said Shane hates losing.  

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2004, 08:24:06 PM »

People, if they (Nascar) really did tell Dennis that, just imagine what the drivers will be told in the last 10 races.  Actually, maybe even this weekend.  I see all hell breaking loose before long in cup but I sure hope I am wrong.  You might review my Opinion piece on Things to Come just to refresh yourself on my thoughts about this shootout playoff crap.  I do see stuff starting this weekend.  On Wind Tunnel last night, Jeremy Mayfield said his teams wouldn't assist their drivers or have team orders but it could happen with other teams.  Not his exact words but he strongly hinted at it.  Scarey.... :mrgreen:
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2004, 08:24:29 PM »

You are making good use of that XM radio aren't you? :wink:

William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2004, 08:28:34 PM »

You are making good use of that XM radio aren't you? :wink:

Oh YEAH.... :lol:   Just ask Lou...

I even brought my boombox into work today and am listening to quals right now.  It's just a pain to haul around and I don't want to get it in my car yet since I'm planning on trading it next year.  So, I have to schlept the boombox out there and position the antenna so I can hear it on drive home in a couple of minutes.  

Cheryl
Lou
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2004, 08:38:05 PM »

Quote from: "Cheryl"
Whatever, in the end, I heard NASCAR did penalize Skinner for causing the wreck and dropped him to 23rd position, but well after the race ended.
Honey, dear, snook'ums....Sorry to correct you :-)

Skinner was penalized for improperly exiting pit lane and rejoining the field as it was coming to take the final green flag and NOT for causing the wreck between himself and Setzer.

He was penalized 2 laps because instead of leaving his backstretch pit area and coming thru the turns 3/4 corners and then down the front pit area and THEN getting out onto the track, he chose to go directly back on track after leaving the back pit road, without completing the rest of the required pit path. The field was still technically under caution at that moment.

Lou

old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2004, 10:47:02 PM »

Well Lou, you just had to do it didn't you? Is your Dog House air conditioned? :lol:  :lol:

William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2004, 12:04:29 AM »

Well Lou, you just had to do it didn't you? Is your Dog House air conditioned? :lol:  :lol:

No, but I didn't cook him any supper tonight...
I ordered pizza instead!   :lol:   That's really a hardship for him...NOT!

Okay, so I forgot why Skinner actually got penalized...I guess I wanted it to be cause he chopped off Setzer and cost him a good finish, that I forgot it was for the pitting thing.  

Cheryl
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: