November 24, 2017, 02:54:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: driving with the devil  (Read 469 times)
super61
Grizzled Veteran

« on: January 20, 2009, 12:40:45 AM »

just finished reading a book that cheryl had recommended over the summer months, driving with the devil, by neil thompson. great insight to the people behind nascar and they way bill france basically "took" the empire from the peasants and made it his own. being the grandson of a former bootlegger from the nashville area, i heard tons of stories about how they would run south on firday, race on saturday and sunday, come home on sunday night with a banged up car, no one the wiser that they were running shine north. but somehow they seem larger than life now. nasczar has really done everything in their power to make sure that the history of the sport was written the way they wanted it.
a few of the orignal players got to play along for awhile but most of them tired of big bill and his bullying ways. for a sport that has it roots in the deep south, they sure are giving it a hollywood makeover.

never under estimate what an angry mob can accomplish
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 09:56:21 AM »

Ken, I have also read the book.  I enjoyed the rich history of the early years of the sport before the start of NASCAR.

It's funny that the same organization that buried its moonshine roots now allows teams to take money from Jack Daniels, Crown Royal and so on.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 05:59:43 PM by Desmond » Logged

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
shawn
Legend

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 02:53:11 PM »

I've read teh book also, and thought it was great.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: