November 18, 2017, 08:51:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sadler to Be Replaced by Allmendinger?  (Read 835 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: December 29, 2008, 01:25:21 PM »

Probably just more silly-season gossip, but this is an interesting one.  I think Elliott is a nice guy, but he really hasn't performed much in the last couple of years...

From Jayski:

"Sadler replaced by Allmendinger? UPDATE: AJ Allmendinger is set to replace Elliott Sadler in the #19 Dodge in 2009, multiple Gillett Evernham Motorsports team sources told ESPN.com on Saturday. GEM CEO Tom Reddin told team employees and sponsors the news just before Christmas, causing some sponsors to consider leaving, according to team sources. Reached for comment Saturday, GEM spokesman Drew Brown chose not to comment. Sources also said Ray Evernham, who founded the team and sold majority ownership to George Gillett, cleared out all personal possessions from the team's shop, including the 2002 Brickyard 400 trophy he won as owner of Bill Elliott's #9 Dodge. Calls placed to Evernham and Sadler's representation were not immediately returned.(ESPN.com)(12-27-2008)
UPDATE: Allmendinger will join Kasey Kahne in the flagship #9 GEM Dodge and newcomer Reed Sorenson, who will pilot the #43 Dodge following the imminent announcement of the merger between owner George Gillett and Richard Petty.
AND Sadler? Sadler's possibilities are rumored to include the #41 Chevy at Earnhardt-Ganassi Racing or the #77 Dodge at Penske Racing should Sam Hornish Jr. replace Helio Castroneves in the IRL IndyCar Series [who faces a trial and possible jail over IRS charges].(FoxSports), no word on who would drive the #10 Dodge of GEM in 2009.(12-28-2008)"

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 04:15:00 PM »

Sadler is a nice guy, but no where near a top tier driver, good but not great. This sure seems to be a lot of shake up in the Dodge teams. And I'm not sure quite what to make of Ray E.'s actions, (tho I don't blame him for taking the Brickyard 400 trophy). I would not be shocked if Ray gets bored in a couple of years and gets back into Nascar.

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 07:08:51 PM »

This is somewhat surprising.  I had heard nothing about Sadler leaving the #19 car.  At the same time, Allmendinger was looking to return to NASCAR full-time and has shown flashes of talent in his brief career.

What this means is that A.J. will be in the Daytona 500 for the first time. Smiley

As for the #10, I now expect that to be shut down; the team was outside the top-35 in owners' points last year and those teams would in theory have the worst luck in finding a sponsor.

Elliott Sadler is very likeable and will end up somewhere in 2009.  I think it will be the #77, because I expect Castroneves to be on trial throughout the IndyCar season, forcing him to be in court every day.  Sam Hornish would then likely return to IndyCar in the #6.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
cowboy271
Grizzled Veteran

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 05:08:56 AM »

Sort of sad to see Elliott without a ride, but I agree with Dick, he's never came across as a top tier driver to me.  I'm probably not saying this right, but Elliott seems to have caught the "money" fever like many other drivers in recent times.  I'm sure he'll probably get a ride somewhere next year.

I don't see much concern for the highly valued top 35 in points standings next year after Daytona.  Given the current economy, I can see NASCAR offering teams money to fill the field at Cali and Vegas and maybe some other tracks......Damn, there I go being gloomy again...sorry.

I'm keeping with NASCAR's theme.."Idiot of Tomorrow" so Speedcouch needs a new resident idiot.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 01:15:05 PM »

James,

I was just thinking yesterday that Elliott seems to have been caught up in "believing his own press" too much from hanging out with the Fox crew on Trackside. 

Also, I believe he was really rushed in Winston Cup too quickly by the old 29 team (Cartoon Network car).  I can't remember the name of the couple who owned it (Carolyn was the wife's name I believe).  But he won a single Busch race and they moved Elliott and the entire team up to Cup based on that.  Now he's obviously gained a lot of experience over the last 10 years and all, but I specifically remember him making a couple of bonehead moves earlier this season.  I think he started that "big one" at Dover in the spring.  As I said, I think he's a nice guy, but not someone I think could win every week.

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 04:54:54 PM »

Cheryl, that is a prety good analysis.  I agree, and while I have a vague recollection of the team owners to whom you are referring, I cannot remember their names either. (it comes with age),... Grin

D ick (the Speedcouch resident old curmudgeon)

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 07:27:11 PM »

Also, I believe he was really rushed in Winston Cup too quickly by the old 29 team (Cartoon Network car).  I can't remember the name of the couple who owned it (Carolyn was the wife's name I believe).

That was Diamond Ridge Motorsports, and one of the owners was Gary Bechtel.  Don't know the wife's name.

At the time, I was a huge pro wrestling fan, and the World Championship Wrestling programs would have updates on the team.  WCW and Cartoon Network would alternate on the car; both were owned by Ted Turner.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 01:15:00 PM »

This is the latest from Jayski.  Kind of funny that Elliott is suing AJ as well as GEM.   laugh

"Sadler to claim GEM breached their contract: An attorney representing Elliott Sadler has filed notice in Iredell County (N.C.) court saying the NASCAR driver intends to claim that Gillett Evernham Motorsports has breached Sadler's contract to drive the Sprint Cup team's #19 Dodges. John Buric, Sadler's lawyer, filed an "application and order extending time to file complaint" Wednesday in Iredell County Superior Court. Sadler has until Jan. 20 to file an actual complaint if the parties cannot reach an agreement on their dispute. According to the form, Sadler plans to seek "injunctive relief, declaratory relief/specific performance, consequential and punitive damages as a result of Defendants anticipatory and actual breach of Plaintiffs' Driving Services Agreement. ... Plaintiffs also seek general, consequential, treble and punitive damages, and attorney fees, as a result of Defendants' tortuous interference ..." George Gillett, Gillette Evernham Motorsports, Anthony James Allmendinger and Ray Evernham Enterprises are named as defendants. Buric said Sadler learned on Tuesday that GEM had engaged in negotiations with Allmendinger about driving the #19 Dodges in 2009. Buric said there had been "communication" with Sadler earlier, telling him that a change was being considered. But he said Sadler did not know there had been actual negotiations until he received phone calls about media reports that Allmendinger was being lined up to replace him. "Elliott is ready, willing and able to fulfill his contractual obligations," Buric said. Sadler earlier this year signed an extension of his contract with GEM that runs through 2010. "Gillett Evernham Motorsports policy does not allow us to comment on potential or pending legal matters involving the race team," said Ryan Barry, a spokesman for the organization.(Charlotte Observer/David Poole)(1-2-2009)"

Cheryl
super61
Grizzled Veteran

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 03:24:47 AM »

now, hold on a cotton picking minute!!!, dinger's day are in the #19 are done before he even gets to daytona. seems the family fued is over and elliott will be behind the wheel of the evernham/gillette/petty/whatever #19

never under estimate what an angry mob can accomplish
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 06:00:54 PM »

Too bad for AJ.  Now it appears he will have to earn his spot for the Daytona 500 again, which as I mentioned above he has yet to do. 

Then again, several teams ahead of them in last year's top-35 do not make it to the track, which is still a possibility.  These include 22, 28, and 38.  If so, the #10 team moves up.

shawn
Legend

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 10:50:35 PM »

Wonder how long he'll actually last?  If he starts the year off bad, then they'll have reason to let him go.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: