November 18, 2017, 07:06:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another Legendary Team on Life Support  (Read 468 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: December 08, 2008, 01:58:46 PM »

This is a real shame, but I'm not completely surprised.  With NASCAR wavering on the 4-team limit, I figured they weren't getting much support to be one of the satellite teams for Roush.  From Jayski:

"Wood Brothers team to cut back to 12 races in 2009: The legendary #21-Wood Brothers organization will run only 12 Sprint Cup races next season. Eddie Wood, co-owner of Wood Brothers Racing, said tough economic times have forced the organization to enter only the season-opening Daytona 500 and mile-and-a-half tracks with Bill Elliott, the 1985 Cup champion. The mile-and-a-half tracks were picked because Ford's program is strongest there. "We could run up to 20 but we decided to do 12 and do it right," Wood said Saturday. "We're going back to doing it the way we did it years ago." The organization used to pick and choose races in the early years. It ran only 18 races in 1973, with David Pearson, who won 11 of them. Wood said the organization, which lost Air Force as a sponsor to Gillett Evernham Motorsports, had to let 22 employees go to reduce the team to about 40.(ESPN.com)(12-6-2008)"

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 06:10:02 PM »

Don't forget that it also lost Little Debbie to a MWR satellite team.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 06:27:40 PM »

I thought that the comments by the Woods Brothers a wek or so ago to the effect that if they did merge with someone, they would have to agree to run Fords because the Woods would only run Fords, period. Now that is loyalty with a capital L! or perhaps I should say with a capital F! Grin Now all they need to do is to find another David Pearson to drive for them! Smiley

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
shawn
Legend

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 05:08:35 PM »

Saw on Jayski today that Jon Wood is looking for a truck ride now to.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: