November 21, 2017, 12:01:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: All I have to say is....  (Read 1030 times)
Benson23Fan
Wiley Veteran

« on: November 15, 2008, 07:51:15 AM »

Yay!!

1995 Busch Grand National Champ and 2008 Craftsman Truck series champ!

Not a shabby NASCAR career overall Smiley

Can we all agree that the qualities of the NASCAR Craftsman Truck series this year are why we all love NASCAR? A hard nosed championship battled decided by a few points and one position on the track. Two veterans racing each other incredibly clean. Side by Side battling lap after lap. An intense chess match of strategy being a deciding factor. We spend so much time talking about whats wrong with NASCAR these days, why not give a brief kudos to whats right with it!?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 08:22:46 AM by Benson23Fan » Logged
super61
Grizzled Veteran

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 03:05:52 PM »

my exact sentiments!! what a wonderful ending to the season for the fans, the sponsor, and of course, JB. I talked to him at cocord last weekend and he is very looking forward to spending more time at home. there have been offers from other teams, but i think he is ready to go. (i mean come racing with us supermodified freaks!!)
CONGRATULATIONS on yet another championship

never under estimate what an angry mob can accomplish
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 06:09:32 PM »

I agree wholeheartedly! One for the good guys! Way to go, Johnny! And yes, the truck series is the best of Nascar racing, and has been for several years.

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 06:31:03 PM »

Yay!!

1995 Busch Grand National Champ and 2008 Craftsman Truck series champ!

Not a shabby NASCAR career overall Smiley

Can we all agree that the qualities of the NASCAR Craftsman Truck series this year are why we all love NASCAR? A hard nosed championship battled decided by a few points and one position on the track. Two veterans racing each other incredibly clean. Side by Side battling lap after lap. An intense chess match of strategy being a deciding factor. We spend so much time talking about whats wrong with NASCAR these days, why not give a brief kudos to whats right with it!?

Wow!  Is all I can say about that race Friday night!  You want drama; that was more drama for a championship than I can remember since Kulwicki won 1992 - wait!  I think it might've been more, actually.  Like Brenden, I've been a fan of JBs a long time - I think since his rookie year in ASA.  Great to see him get another championship!  Now he and Greg Biffle are the only two to get one in both Busch and trucks, though in a little different fashion. 

As to the truck series in general, I haven't been as impressed with it in the last 5 years or so.  Just don't like to see them moved to so many superspeedways.   IMHO, it would be more fun to see them back on more short tracks, with the big tracks where they run well (like Homestead, Daytona, and Texas) mixed in. 

But absolutely wonderful to see JB get ths championship, but it's very bittersweet that he sounds like he's retiring after this.  He's obviously still got "it" when it comes to driving and winning.  Too bad he never had a truly "big ride" in Cup.  I still can't believe I missed his one and only win at Rockingham in 2002. 

Edit:  Below is a stand-up cut-out of Johnny that I got at Richmond back when he first got the Valvoline sponsorship with MBV motorsports.  I stood in line that day at his souvenir stand to meet JB and get his autograph on it.   Grin

I carried the stand-up to races for several years and proudly displayed it at the campground.  Now it resides in the closet upstairs with Terry Labonte and Lou's Dave Blaney Amoco cut-outs.  We drag them out once a year for the Daytona 500 party.   laugh

Cheryl

* JB.jpg (53.96 KB, 368x400 - viewed 78 times.)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 06:48:46 PM by Cheryl » Logged
cowboy271
Grizzled Veteran

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 03:59:48 AM »

I didn't intend my post under "TV Talk" to demean  Johnny's championship.  I've always thought very highly of Johnny and his demeanor.  Maybe he was too "nice" of a guy to cut it in Cup at the time, but I don't seem to recall anything  he did to upset me (asides from driving a Toyota:)).  It seems like he may be back for next year; I hope so. 

I'm keeping with NASCAR's theme.."Idiot of Tomorrow" so Speedcouch needs a new resident idiot.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 12:57:17 PM »

James,

I didn't see anything wrong with what you said.  I completely understand the dislike of the Toys, you know that.  Unfortunately, two of my favorite drivers have now won championships with them... Wink

As to Speed and the Waltrips turning the broadcasts into the "Toy Truck Series," I couldn't agree more!   Angry

Trust me, I completely understood your frustration about the broadcast Friday night and agreed 100% about the overkill with two Waltrip brothers.

Cheryl
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 01:03:40 PM by Cheryl » Logged
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 03:53:29 PM »

I have not watched the trucks this year because we lost Speed in one of our cable package deals, and there are limits to what I'll pay. Now I remember what used to irritate me so much. I shall not mention names, but their initials are DW and MW. Grin

William James
cowboy271
Grizzled Veteran

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 10:35:20 PM »

I haven't watched the trucks near as much in the years since the Toyota invasion.  DW literally turned me off to the series with his pandering to the Toyotas when they first arrived and he was the color (?) commentator for the broadcasts.  I'm not sure if the racing is as competitive today as it was before Toyota's arrival, but I'm not sure there would be a Truck series without the Toyota infusion.  My lack of enthusiasm for the truck series is probably more of a fallout from my loss of interest in the other two series.  Congratulations to Johnny for a hard earned win.   

I'm keeping with NASCAR's theme.."Idiot of Tomorrow" so Speedcouch needs a new resident idiot.
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 05:52:13 PM »

I also join the congratulations for Johnny Benson.  To me, he defines "salt of the earth."

The entire drama of Friday night was incredible.  Remember that this is without a Chase to bunch up the points. Smiley

As for Benson's retirement talk: While there is something to be said about leaving NASCAR as a champion, he may also be frustrated over the lack of steady sponsors of that truck over the years.  On the other hand, Brian Scott (granted, an improving young driver) is coming to Bill Davis Racing largely because he took Albertson's with him.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2008, 01:58:52 PM »

Wow!  Apparently real bad feelings came out from Bill and Gail Davis at the banquet Monday night!  Guess it was JB who wanted to leave the team, not the other way around...wonder where he'll end up next season?

http://www.scenedaily.com/news/articles/truckseries/Team_owner_Bill_Davis_unhappy_with_Johnny_Bensons_decision_to_leave_championship_team.html

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2008, 06:01:36 PM »

I don't get this deal at all. Would they rather J B changes his mind and stays there at BD Racing, or just what?  There must be more to the story, as there usually is. Huh?

William James
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: