November 25, 2017, 10:47:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Testing Banned  (Read 658 times)
shawn
Legend

« on: November 14, 2008, 04:57:03 PM »

NASCAR has banned testing in the top 3 divisions

UPDATE 2: NASCAR has banned all testing at its sanctioned tracks next season in an effort to help teams save several million dollars in their 2009 budgets. The moratorium, which includes the traditional "preseason" Daytona 500 testing, is for all three of NASCAR's top divisions. Teams will not be permitted to test at any track where a Sprint Cup, Nationwide Series or Truck Series event is held. NASCAR informed teams of its decision Friday morning at Homestead-Miami Speedway. The decision is an about-face from just a few months ago, when NASCAR was considering widening the testing schedule to as many as 24 days at any track

Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 04:59:48 PM »

Thanks for posting that news, Shawn!  Pretty interesting...but teams will still test at places like Rockingham, VIR, and Greenville-Pickens...so the big teams will still find a way around it.

Cheryl

super61
Grizzled Veteran

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 05:06:10 PM »

the only thing this will effect is that nascar wont make any money from test sessions. teams will still head to other non nascar tracks for testing. you can bet that testing will not stop. so there is really no money savings. as for daytona, i cannot belive that the owners and drivers are happy that there will be no testing, esp with no rookie draft sessions..dont think that too much thought was put in this

ken

never under estimate what an angry mob can accomplish
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 07:53:28 PM »

Whoa!  I just saw this in an article on Racing One:

"The move includes the "Preseason Thunder" test sessions held at Daytona International Speedway in January and bans teams from using any NASCAR-sanctioned track for a test. This includes facilities which host a Sprint Cup, Nationwide, Camping World Truck Series or Camping World East and West Series event"

Including the tracks where Camping World races REALLY limits them a lot!  Scratch Greenville-Pickens from the list I made earlier.  Andy Hillenberg and Mr. Silas putting in that short track at Rockingham is looking like really smart move right now.  Cause NA$CAR ain't ever taking any of their series back to the Rock.

Cheryl
cowboy271
Grizzled Veteran

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 12:40:55 AM »

I'm really surprised (no wait, nothing NA$CAR does surprises me any more) at the testing ban.  It appears to shut out any new teams.  You'd have to be dumber than NA$CAR to attempt to field a new team without access to testing at the appropriate series tracks.  Just a thought NA$CAR; you just may need some new teams to replace the one's you've taken sponsorship away from or ran out of the lower series by turning these lower series into Cup II (NWS) and Cup III (the trucks).
On the other hand, I'm really encouraged by NA$CAR's expectations of significant economical by the first quarter '09. 

I'm keeping with NASCAR's theme.."Idiot of Tomorrow" so Speedcouch needs a new resident idiot.
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 06:14:25 PM »

I dunno, gang. I can't figure this one out at all. To totally ban testing would eliminate, for instance, Kentucky Speedway, which has been a favorite for one and one-half mile testing the last several years.
  I bet they back off this idea before Daytona. Sounds like a Baby Brian idea to me, and he wouldn't know a race car if it ran over him.

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 06:05:11 PM »

I have heard some talk of turning the first practice on a race weekend into a de facto test session by allowing detailed telemetry on the cars.  That sounds like a reasonable compromise.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 06:14:22 PM »

I don't think they should EVER be allowed to use telemetry!  That's part of what started driving the costs up. 

As to the testing ban, while James makes a good point about it possibly locking out new teams, I kind of like the idea of no testing.  Yes, the multi-car teams will still test at Rockingham and non-NASCAR affilated tracks, but I just think it will help contain costs a bit.  I don't think anything is going to reduce costs at this point though...

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2008, 06:06:08 PM »

I'll bet that the "cost" comes down when Toyota finds out that they have to support the whole D#$n series, after the Big 3 go bankrupt. But by then I won't care much either. Wonder how Brian will rationalize the empty seats then??

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: