November 21, 2017, 01:21:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: Did the Switch Impact You Personally
Yes, I Don't Get ESPN2 - 0 (0%)
Yes, I was recording the race and missed the end - 1 (20%)
No, I was easily able to switch to ESPN2 - 4 (80%)
Total Voters: 5

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ABC Switching to ESPN2  (Read 1019 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: November 10, 2008, 09:22:05 PM »

Please only reply if you watched/recorded the race.  Just wondering if this was really that big a deal for folks or not.

Personally, I was afronted that ABC thought a silly video show was more important, but was able to easily change the channel, so it really wasn't any big deal in the end.  I just think it is interesting that CBS delays all their primetime shows on Sunday night when football runs late, but ABC isn't able to do the same thing. 

Cheryl
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 10:02:47 PM »

I had the sound off and Sirius on. It was only after I noticed that the commercials on tv went on forever did I realize they switched.

I tuned in to watch a Nationwide race and all I got was Danica.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 10:35:53 PM »

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that if TV would simply start the races at 1 p.m. (instead the ridiculously late 3:45 yesterday), there wouldn't be any problem.  I mean, how it is that the west coast viewers managed to follow racing 10-15 years ago when almost every race started at 1 p.m. eastern?

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 05:58:48 PM »

Actually, as I wrote in the Rate the Race thread, none of the choices applied to me.  I live in the Pacific Time Zone and was able to keep watching the race on ABC7 in Los Angeles.

Although I recorded from the channel with the high-definition feed, the telecast after 4:30 p.m. was a simulcast of the lower-quality feed.  To me, that was the only disappointment.

Quote from the Associated Press:
"ABC ditched its coverage for America's Funniest Home Videos with 34 laps left in Sunday's race.  That's right, Johnson's seventh win of the season was interrupted by cats running into walls." Angry

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 01:56:28 PM »

Here's some quote from BF on the subject.  I heard most of this on XM last night, but here's what Jayski has.  Can this guy utter a single sentence without saying "uh" or "you know"  in it?   Roll Eyes

"NASCAR chairman Brian France holds teleconference, TV comments: NASCAR Chairman and CEO Brian France held a Teleconference Tuesday, Nov 11th, discussing the problems manufacturers are having and possible impact of NASCAR and made a comment about ABC moving the final part of the Phoenix Sprint Cup race [11/9] to ESPN2.
Q. Just wanted to get what you thought about the ABC moving the final 34 minutes of the race on Sunday to ESPN2, and if there's anything that you can do about that in the future?
BRIAN FRANCE: Well, we didn't like it. That was not what we had anticipated. But we have talked to them repeatedly in the last couple of days, and have, you know, there were lots of circumstances that they had to consider. I don't have to agree with each one of those, but they had their own issues that they had to manage around. So we were the, you know unfortunately, we got the short end of that as a sport. But we're working with them and hope to eliminate that from happening in the future. In part from a NASCAR Transcript, see the full transcript on Jayski.com - Transcript: Brian France Teleconference 11/11/2008, also, see many articles about the TV Coverage from the past few days on my Article/Column Links page.(11-12-2008)"

Edit:  Haha!  Just saw this article by Terry Blout at ESPN on BF "saying nothing" for the 2nd time in three days.  That about sums it up every time he opens his mouth.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/rpm/nascar/cup/columns/story?columnist=blount_terry&page=BlountsBlitz

Cheryl
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 01:58:55 PM by Cheryl » Logged
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 04:57:39 PM »

I don't usually care for things David Poole writes lately but he hit the nail on the head in this article - I've been saying NASCAR has let TV "materially" affect the sport for the last 7 years.  Glad to hear someone in the real media saying they handed over control to TV, especially concerning start times:

http://turn-lane.blogspot.com/2008/11/bumped-broadcast-symptom-of-bigger-ill.html

Cheryl
cowboy271
Grizzled Veteran

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2008, 07:17:08 AM »

I just took that lil' hiccup as another sign NA$CAR may not have the leverage with the media NA$CAR thinks they do.  As David pointed out, it wouldn't happen in the major stick and ball sports.  It appears to me ABC is as interested in sponsorship dollars as most NA$CAR teams.

I'm keeping with NASCAR's theme.."Idiot of Tomorrow" so Speedcouch needs a new resident idiot.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 06:56:09 PM »

I read something interesting Friday (can't remember where now though) that ABC got worse rating on their stupid video show than they did on the last 34 minutes of the race on ESPN.  But the author pointed out they'd already got the ad revenue from the race sponsors on ABC and then wanted it from the ones sponsoring the video show too.  So James about nailed it there.

Cheryl
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: