November 18, 2017, 09:26:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sirius/XM merger update  (Read 4993 times)
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2008, 02:07:11 AM »

Everything I read is that the playlists are much smaller on the Sirius channels. 
Cheryl

That's true, but I believe they are now using XM's library. During my usual daily listening routine, in the 24 hours after the change, I've heard songs that I've NEVER heard on Sirius and I've heard groups that Sirius has never played.

I tuned in to watch a Nationwide race and all I got was Danica.
alfers
Veteran

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2008, 04:15:31 AM »

Hey there,
Just my two cents about Claire's demise.
Her status at the moment is that of a television show moved too many times, yes only three to date, and keeping her fan base in an every searching mode.  Were she on a television station we could search using our digital recorders for her time slot. 
Imagine my surprise Wednesday morning to find Blue Collar Comedy where I had heard Claire the evening before.  Yes, it served as a reminder only because I heard her the night before as to her next venue.  I never catch the majority of her show now as I only drive home 30 to 60 minutes of her last hour. 
Claire hinted the other day there was good news coming, AFTER this season is over.  I fear if it is a trip to Sirius on their NASCAR channel as I have three receivers now and am NOT in the market to replace them with Sirius.  After all, how many of those factory installed radios can we successfully replace?  Don't bother answering that, I'm not the least bit interested as it was rethorical.
As for the rest of the changes in show lineup and content, I use mine primarily to follow my favorite baseball team, hopefully seven months out of the year, and of course, Claire's show.  I use to listen to the blend on XM 25 as that music pretty much encases my listening pleasure.  I have fond memories of listening to Howard from some twenty years ago, hard to believe but he at least kept me awake on my very long drives across New England.  He was the rave then, not sure what his show is like now.  Again, I'm not the least bit interested in giving XM one more dime than I have to.  You may know HD radio is free.  The receivers are VERY pricey. 
I'll wander through XM's 7, 8 and 25 to see if I detect changes.  I do have the luxury of owning one of XM's little Pioneeer recorders.  Supposively even if you come in in the middle of a song it records the whole song.  I do have a few broken recordings but most of what I've recorded has remained entact.  I'll compare what I hear to what I have recorded and see if I notice a difference.  I too have heard the rumors XM's music stations were far superior to those of Sirius.  Yet another reason I never converted.
For race coverage I rely on my Raceview.  A delay of about 30 seconds but still better than some of those semi interested television networks showing the commercials that take breaks for race coverage.
I apologize if I've posted in an unacceptable manner.  I do tend to ramble. 

old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2008, 06:40:01 PM »

HEY ALFERS, didn't you use to post on the old Mark Martin Roush board? How ya been?

My wife is gonna be mad about Oprah being deleted. She like that show. I have been hearing stuff on XM lately that I never heard before. and I'm not happy about it. They better not mess with XM's channel 15, the Village. It is the only channel on either system which plays any decent folk music.  (now you know why I'm known as the "Old Hippie" on some boards. Grin Grin Seroiusly, folk music is great.
  I do miss the guys XM had on channels 5 and 10 especially.

Dick

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2008, 06:43:13 PM »

Welcome back, Michael!  Glad to have you back and appreciate you posting your thoughts on the merger.  As to Claire, I doubt seriously if she's going anywhere.  The fact they won't let her release the "news" about where she will be in the off-season or next year makes me believe, she'll still be available without having to pony up the money for the so-called "Best of Sirius."  It's supposedly only $4 more a month, but I've found that you have to pay $4 on each radio you own.  I'd probably only want it on two of mine; however, I've read on the XM fansite that even though I've paid for a 3-year contract on my SkyFi2 to keep the $9.99 rate, I'd have to shell out the difference to the "full price" and then add the $4 on that one - making my total increase $11 a month.  That is absurd IMHO, with what I pay already.  So, for now, I haven't sprung for it.  I'm going to wait and see what happens with the USAR series and if we plan to be travelling again next season, I'll probably get it in Feb for my SkiFi2 and then later for Lou's truck.

As to the music changes, I'm still not happy with all the changes to the country channels, but the classic rock ones and decades seem okay. 

Again, Michael, glad to have you back and don't be a stranger!

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2008, 06:00:15 PM »

Before the merger, I had begun to listen occasionally to some of the music channels through DirecTV, which picks up the audio from XM.  Yesterday, I listened again and I noticed for the first time that the DJs talked between songs on the bluegrass and Willie's Place (traditional country) channels.  I had heard some DJ talk on the Bluesville channel, but not on the others. 

On one hand, this is what I suspected when Sirius took over the XM channels and began programming the music.  Then again, I don't listen to XM all day or even for more than an hour at a time, and I flipped from channel to channel.  So maybe there was some DJ talk anyway.  Even if there was, I think there is a lot more now, based on the reports I have heard on this thread and elsewhere.

Also, I listened to the southern gospel channel and it was playing a Christmas carol that not only did not mention Jesus Christ, but did not mention the word "Christmas!"  (For the record, it was "Let It Snow.")  I found that very ironic.

I also want to make a correction: Oprah and Friends is still on XM, and is also an optional add-on to Sirius.  But it is no longer available on DirecTV.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2008, 08:46:19 PM »

So maybe there was some DJ talk anyway.  Even if there was, I think there is a lot more now, based on the reports I have heard on this thread and elsewhere.

Several of the channels I listened to had NO DJs before (Big Tracks, Top Tracks, and US Country).  Now their counterparts coming from Sirius (Classic Rewind, Classic Vinyl, and Prime County) have people talking all the time!  And they keep inserting stuff from current "entertainment" news, which is completely inappropriate on oldies channels IMHO...

There are different DJs on Roadhouse, which used to be America and they are much more intrusive than the ones from XM IMHO...

I signed up for Best of Sirius on Friday in order to continue to listen to Claire B. Lang and I've only listened in occasionally on the other talk shows on the NASCAR channel.  I find the hosts just want to interject their opinions, stir up trouble and half the time aren't even talking about racing.  Ugh!  Guess they've taken their lead from the folks on Fox and SPEED.   Angry  Claire actually gets off her butt and goes out and gets interviews and stories. 

Cheryl
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 09:25:27 PM by Cheryl » Logged
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2008, 04:05:06 AM »

half the time aren't even talking about racing.   folks . 
Cheryl

After Sirius Speedway went to 4 hours, from three, and strictly NASCAR (used to cover ALL motorsports, MUCH better then) I welcome a little non NASCAR talk.
 I do like that the NASCAR channel has Eli Gold's show on Tuesday nights.

I tuned in to watch a Nationwide race and all I got was Danica.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2008, 01:23:36 PM »

As I suspected when Sirius started these multi-hour talk shows, they don't have enough material to fill a show that long.  Why not go back to using syndicated shows like "Fast Talk" etc. more?  Or the wonderful "classic" MRN races that XM used to use during the down times? 

Besides I don't know how anyone can listen to David Poole or Dave Moody for more than a couple minutes.   Roll Eyes 

Cheryl

« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 06:06:26 PM by Cheryl » Logged
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2008, 04:05:18 PM »

As I suspected when Sirius started these multi-hour talk shows, they don't have enough material to fill a show that long.  Why not go back to using syndicated shows like "Fast Talk" etc. more?  Or the wonderful "classic" MRN races that XM used to use during the down times? 

Besides I don't know how anyone can listen to David Poole or Dave Moody for more than a couple minutes.   Roll Eyes 

Cheryl

Amen to that, Cheryl. I really dislike the "D/Js" who think they have to yak all the time. If I wanted to listen to local radio, I certainly could do so for free,.... Angry

William James
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2008, 06:02:02 PM »

Amen to that, Cheryl. I really dislike the "D/Js" who think they have to yak all the time. If I wanted to listen to local radio, I certainly could do so for free,.... Angry

That reminds me.  The current CEO of Sirius XM Radio, Mel Karmazin, had the same job at CBS Radio for years.  It was there that he signed Howard Stern.  When Stern chose to leave CBS after a management change at CBS, Karmazin quickly signed Stern to a contract at Sirius.

So that's your explanation as to why the music channels now sound like "regular" radio stations. Sad

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2008, 06:16:11 PM »

Good point, Desmond. All I'm looking for right now is a good reason to reduce the subscriber list by 2,.. Angry

William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2008, 07:23:47 PM »

From what I read in an article quoting Mel last week, he doesn't care about music at all.  He's all about the money.  Now who does that sound like that race fans are familiar with??   Roll Eyes

What a sad attitude...

Cheryl
alfers
Veteran

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2009, 03:24:02 AM »

We see where Claire ended up.  I haven't heard her show since she left for Sirius.
As for NASCAR on XM, looks like 148 will be doing two shows a week on NASCAR.  They are suppose to be in Daytona this week on Saturday and sometime on Sunday.  If I get a better handle on the times, I'll pass them along.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2009, 01:10:45 PM »

We see where Claire ended up.  I haven't heard her show since she left for Sirius.

I signed up for the "Best of Sirius" just to hear Claire, but 7 pm only three nights a week really stinks.  And not Mon or Tues right after the races, so a lot of stuff is old news by the time she's on starting on Wednesdays. 
The programming people have no idea how many listeners they've lost by such a stupid move!

Also, there have been media reports that Charlie Ergen of DISH network is buying up all of SXM's debt in a possible takeover. 

Cheryl
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 03:28:07 PM by Cheryl » Logged
alfers
Veteran

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2009, 04:17:09 PM »

Cheryl,
Shows you I haven't heard Claire since her move.  Never knew she only had three nights a week.  She was really laying it on thick before the move about how wonderful it was going to be.
Guess we'll stand by to stand by.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: