November 19, 2017, 10:43:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sirius/XM merger update  (Read 5004 times)
Desmond
All-Star

« on: October 20, 2008, 06:10:24 PM »

On Friday, I surfed over to the DBSTalk forum.  It was to get the answer to another question, but while I was there I found out that Sirius may be about to take over the XM music channels.  Already, the new merged company has fired many of the music directors of the channels that were operated by XM.

When I saw all this information, I immediately thought of Cheryl's comments about XM being superior to Sirius in the presentation of the music channels.  Her biggest complaint was that the Sirius hosts talk too much.  I also understand that Sirius has a more limited playlist than XM, but I don't know if that is true.

Cheryl, have you also heard about the layoffs?  And what is your reaction?

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 06:23:52 PM »

Oh yeah...I heard about the lay-offs early last week.

Pretty much, rather than a "merger," it's pretty clear it's become a hostile takeover of XM by Sirius...

Besides firing so many XM program directors and all, Sirius has already announced they're canning several channels in favor of their own version - one that I like a lot called America, which plays some older country music is gone after 11/4 in favor of Sirius' Roadhouse.   Angry

Here's an interesting article I saw a link to today that pretty much tells it like it is:

http://www.michiguide.com/

Go to the 3rd article down.

As to my reactions, it's pretty disappointing to see; however, I can't see the music changes being drastic enough to ever drive me back to FM.  Besides NA$CAR, the thing that really drove me to pay for XM in 2004 was the inane morning shows around here. 

Hopefully, Claire B. Lang will have a permanent place on the Sirius NA$CAR channel next year and it certainly ought to be the prime 4-7 p.m. timeslot.

Cheryl

« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 06:27:12 PM by Cheryl » Logged
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 02:29:03 AM »

Roadhouse is older country music. Don't know about the playlist compared to XM's version.
 I found this website www.dogstarradio.com. It lists everything Sirius has played today, yesterday, last week and beyond. Every song ,commercial, DJ break, talk radio segment, etc. If you want a taste of Sirius' music choices this is very interesting.  Also has news about Sirius/XM, including layoff talks.

I tuned in to watch a Nationwide race and all I got was Danica.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 02:01:54 PM »

Thanks, Brian! 

Yeah, I like older country music, kind of like older NASCAR.   laugh  I know Roadhouse is suppose to be the equivalent of America, but being the curmudgeon that I am, I don't like change. 

I've been reading this forum for most of my information lately:

www.xmfan.com

As I've always said, personal preferences among the two services is pretty much like the old Ford/Chevy debate (or DirecTV vs. Dish, or satellite vs. cable, etc.).    Wink

Cheryl
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 02:09:21 PM by Cheryl » Logged
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 05:20:13 PM »

I just read the Michiguide article, and I left heartbroken.  One of the fired DJs, Matt "the Cat" Baldassarri, had just gotten married! Cry

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 05:16:25 PM »

Matt the cat is cool. I haven't been listening to XM much because my summer car has Sirius. I like XM's AMERICA too, Cheryl. One of the comments about the playlist could be correct, too, based upon my unscientific listening. Too bad that they have to mess with a good thing, and, it goes w/out saying, the opinions of those who SHOULD count, the consumers, are ignored. Seems like we have heard that tune before. Sad

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 11:53:59 PM »

Too bad that they have to mess with a good thing, and, it goes w/out saying, the opinions of those who SHOULD count, the consumers, are ignored.

Yeah, really, Dick and especially since XM had the much larger subscriber base, yet Sirius' programming is now probably going to be shoved down our throats.   Angry

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 06:25:10 PM »

Yeah, but I still will NOT listen to Howard or Martha. So there! Grin

William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 06:42:25 PM »

I'm waiting to sign up for the so-called "Best of Sirius" until I see if they are putting Claire B. Lang on the NA$CAR channel or not. 

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2008, 11:14:58 PM »

Good idea. I like Claire.

William James
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 03:05:44 AM »

So have Sirius/XM subscribers weathered the changes made today? As a longtime Sirius subscriber I'm about 90% happy. I've read several forums and it's mostly XM subscribers who are unhappy. I will miss several channels that Sirius lost but I only listened to them for maybe 20 minutes a week. The jury is still out on the changeover of The Vault to Deep Tracks.

Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2008, 01:34:29 PM »

Not very happy...

I still think it is quite interesting how the company with the much smaller customer base it forcing it's programming on the larger customer base.  Everything I read is that the playlists are much smaller on the Sirius channels.  And two of my favorite stations, 10 and 17 have been hacked up by Sirius.  Loud obnoxious DJs on both now, when 17 had none before and 10 had nice quiet, soothing voices and much older classic country.  Heard that 17 is switching from 80s and 90s country to all 90 to 2000...Ugh...It used to be a place to escape from Tim McGraw, Faith Hill, Shania, chesney and Rascal Flatts...

I heard my first Flatt Rascals song on there yesterday.   Roll Eyes

Cheryl
shawn
Legend

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2008, 04:45:06 PM »

I'm mad that they took away buzzsaw and replaced it with the AC/DC Chanel.

Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2008, 06:08:47 PM »

Here's a list of replacement music channels resulting from the merger:
*Roadhouse replaces America (10)
*Prime Country replaces US Country (17)
*Outlaw Country instead of X Country
*The Highway instead of Highway 16 (16)
*Pop2K instead of XM Hitlist (30)
*The Pulse replaces Flight 26 (26)
*Sirius XM Love instead of The Heart
*Praise replaces Spirit
*Sirius XM U instead of XMU
*The Spectrum instead of XM Cafe
*Classic Vinyl replaces Top Tracks (34)
*Alt. Nation instead of Ethel
*Octane instead of Squizz
*Classic Rewind replaces Big Tracks
*Lithium instead of Lucy
*1st Wave instead of Fred
*Soul Town replaces Soul Street
*Heart and Soul instead of Suite 62
*Hip Hop Nation instead of The City

In addition, these channels have been terminated:
*Oprah and Friends
*The Rhyme
*Raw
*High Standards
*Fine Tuning
*Chrome
*VOX
*Aguila
*Caricia
*Viva
*The Virus

Let me know if there have been any other changes.

drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2008, 02:02:49 AM »

I'm mad that they took away buzzsaw and replaced it with the AC/DC Chanel.

Buzzsaw, renamed Boneyard, comes back in early January.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: