November 21, 2017, 06:29:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Layoffs in Mooresville  (Read 3387 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: October 20, 2008, 12:56:04 PM »

Lou and I were at the USAR race in North Carolina this weekend and I was talking to a guy who works in Mooresville.  He brought up that several of the big NA$CAR teams are in the process of laying off a lot of folks. 

Hendrick - about 70 people
DEI - 100 people
Joe Gibbs - can't remember how many

It doesn't look like even the big team are immune from lack of sponsorship lately.  It's really a shame for all these employees, but it looks like maybe the bubble really is bursting for racing lately.    Sad

Chery
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 06:05:30 PM »

At first, it doesn't make sense.  Hendrick, with four fully-sponsored teams in Cup and some of the best drivers the sport has ever seen, firing 70 people?  JGR, with three fully-sponsored teams?

Then again, maybe this is mostly from the Busch operations with less money.

DEI is on the brink.  Only one sponsored team in Cup for next year.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 06:09:01 PM »

I'd hazard to guess the 70 people "from Hendrick" are in the JR Motorsports Busch shops, since JR seems to be having trouble finding a full-time sponsor for the 88 car.  At least that's what I read somewhere the other day...and he said he wasn't firing any of his relatives.

Cheryl
cowboy271
Grizzled Veteran

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 01:01:09 AM »

Desmond, your comment "fully funded" raises a question in my skeptical mind.  What is "fully funded" this year compared to recent years?  I'm sure DuPont and Lowe's bottom lines aren't that great.  I hate to see anyone laid off, but I have a feeling the current economical downturn hasn't really hit NASCAR yet.  I'm afraid there's a lot of sponsorship contracts that will be downsized or not renewed once the current contracts expire.

Along those lines, I really find the "supposedly" merger negotiations between DEI and Petty VERY interesting as it seems GM/Chrysler merger talks continue.  I'm pretty sure there's going to be some very surprising news before 2009.

I'm keeping with NASCAR's theme.."Idiot of Tomorrow" so Speedcouch needs a new resident idiot.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: