November 19, 2017, 03:29:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wow! You Can't Say...  (Read 995 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: September 29, 2008, 12:13:40 PM »

Carl Edwards was points racing!  What a finish!  Now if he was only going about 100 miles an hour slower on a short track, I think he could've bounced off the wall and still made that pass stick.   Grin

I swear I thought Jimmie blew up when Carl went blasting past him.  On MRN, Jimmy was pretty funny.  He said "Carl drove it in there about 30 car lengths too deep."   laugh

Cheryl
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 02:37:55 PM by Cheryl » Logged
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 03:31:10 PM »

I missed the end of the race, darn it! Angry But my daughter said it was awesome, plus Greg passing Jeff for third, and Matt coming back to finish 5th. Another great day for Roush and Hendrick. It seemed like there was a lot more real racing going on than usual for a one and 1/2 mile track.

Oh Yeah, a darn good day for RCR, too. Jeff B Harvick and Boyer are all within striking distance. Too bad about the Toyotas! Grin

This may turn out to be a good chase yet!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 05:23:28 PM by old hot rodder » Logged

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
super61
Grizzled Veteran

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 06:20:09 PM »

Carl had said he knew he was going to hit the wall, but in the video game he plays, you don't hit it as hard as he did.

never under estimate what an angry mob can accomplish
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 06:23:36 PM »

Carl had said he knew he was going to hit the wall, but in the video game he plays, you don't hit it as hard as he did.

That was what I was referring to - that the move would've worked in real life on a short track.   laugh

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 07:13:12 PM »

Can you imagine having enough confidence in your ability to drive a race car to actually try it in real life??

Unbelievable. Smiley

William James
Vivian
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 08:32:37 PM »

I watched most of the tape of the race last night since I was unable to watch on Sunday.

Personally, I thought it was a stupid move that Carl made.  You cannot safely drive a real race car like that when real life drivers are racing hard without putting them at stake.  If you are playing a video game there are no real live people's lives in danger with a move like that so it should be kept in the game.  JMO along with quite a few other people I have talked to...
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 09:13:28 PM by Vivian » Logged
cowboy271
Grizzled Veteran

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 11:28:00 PM »

I know y'all think I'm an old fuddy-duddy; but when has two cars racing for the lead with everyone else seven or eight seconds behind been a "good" race?  I also wonder when was the last race that didn't have a caution in the last 25 or so laps?  I realize the last laps of the race are more prone to cautions due to the race's wear and tear on the cars/drivers; but it almost seems CASHCOW dictates a rear runner spin out to insure a caution for the end of the race:)

I'm sorry; I'll try to be less caustic in my next post:)

I'm keeping with NASCAR's theme.."Idiot of Tomorrow" so Speedcouch needs a new resident idiot.
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 11:37:30 PM »

I watched most of the tape of the race last night since I was unable to watch on Sunday.

Personally, I thought it was a stupid move that Carl made.  You cannot safely drive a real race car like that when real life drivers are racing hard without putting them at stake.  If you are playing a video game there are no real live people's lives in danger with a move like that so it should be kept in the game.  JMO along with quite a few other people I have talked to...

You know what, Vivian? You are really correct, and that comes from an unabashed Roush/Carl fan. But, I just read an article on the Edwards Roush board by none other than Ricky Craven, who I also like, who states that Carls driving was absolutely incredible, etc.

I think that for 99% of the drivers, it would have been a bonehead move, but I think about what Ray Evernham said about Gordon: - He sees things on the track in slow motion, (or what would be to we mortals "slow motion"). Carl is probably the only driver out there today, with the possible exception of JJ and Kyle, who is really in Jeff's league. I honestly think they are in a class by themselves. I just hope he doesn't get too cocky and do that stuff too often, because the odds will catch up even with him.

But again, I think your opinion is correct.

JMHO, Dick Smiley

William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 12:24:43 PM »

As usual, I think people's opinions of drivers have a lot to do with which moves they think are "brilliant" or reckless.  I just know to me it was one of the most exciting moves I've seen in a long, long time. 

I also think it is funny that so many people complain about boring racing, points racing, and vanilla drivers and then when someone shows a little spunk, they don't enjoy that either. 

Personally, the last two races have been very enjoyable to me and re-energized my interest a bit.  But that's obviously just me...  No, there weren't 400 laps of excitement, but I'm not going discount the good racing I saw because of that or because I might not like the guys running up front.  Not every race in the 60s, 70s or even 90s were classics either. 

And James I won't call you caustic if you don't call me "Mary Sunshine."   laugh

Cheryl
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 06:54:52 PM by Cheryl » Logged
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2008, 03:04:57 PM »

How did that old joke go about
              you can call me this, you can call me that,
               but just don't forget to call me for dinner! Grin

(or something like that, my old memory cells are fading fast!)

William James
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2008, 05:44:37 PM »

Thank you, Carl, for one of the most daring moves I have seen in a long time.  It's unfortunate that it didn't work.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Vivian
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2008, 09:01:55 PM »

Interesting responses from everywhere on this one.

I agree with James on the racing thing.  Big leads do not make the whole race interesting.  That is why I normally tape now and ff through most of it.

Like Cheryl said, the move was exciting, but to me, no matter which driver had done it, then I still would have felt the same way.  You just cannot safely race real cars like you do in a video game and no matter who was driving, they could have caused a huge wreck by deliberately hitting the wall.  He just lucked out and did it at the right spot.

I know where Dick is coming from also.  Only a few drivers could have pulled a move like that off, but only if they hit the wall at the right spot on the racetrack. 

I am just a very safety conscious person and I don't like to see someone else put in jeopardy by something someone copies from a video game.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 09:06:03 PM by Vivian » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: