November 18, 2017, 05:32:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: quals in the chase for the championship  (Read 2440 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2004, 04:23:20 PM »

I agree you Vivian, except I don't think I will ever consider the person who is on top after the last 10 races REALLY a champion...

As for the guys from 11th on, I had absolutely no idea they didn't even stand a chance of moving into the top 10 in those last races until a couple weeks ago.  I guess I didn't "understand" the new rules as Brian France keeps telling us we need to do.  Guess what, now that I really understand the rules, I dislike them even more.

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2004, 11:16:47 PM »

Oh, Cheryl, I wish I had said something sooner and I thought we did discuss it.  I will review old posts.  I do know that was Bobby Allison's main objection in the beginning and also Richard Petty didn't like it, I think.

That has been my biggest beef all along.  In fact, I think I mentioned it in one of my opinion pieces.  I will check and see.

Yep, if you ain't top 10 after Richmond the best will be 11th in order to get on stage.  Do you suppose a lot of people don't realize that yet?
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2004, 01:13:42 PM »

Quote from: "Vivian"
Oh, Cheryl, I wish I had said something sooner and I thought we did discuss it.  I will review old posts.  I do know that was Bobby Allison's main objection in the beginning and also Richard Petty didn't like it, I think.

That has been my biggest beef all along.  In fact, I think I mentioned it in one of my opinion pieces.  I will check and see.

Yep, if you ain't top 10 after Richmond the best will be 11th in order to get on stage.  Do you suppose a lot of people don't realize that yet?

You probably did mention it.  I have just been so against the whole Chase idea; it probably just didn't sink into my hard head.   :lol:

I suspect the average fan (who doesn't read the internet) probably doesn't really understand the rules.  But I'm sure TNT and NBC will make sure and beat them into their heads over the next 12 weeks.

Cheryl
sally
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2004, 03:05:17 PM »

Wouldn't it be cool if the 11th or 12th place driver after Richmond goes on a tear, outpoints everyone in the top 10, and still finishes 11th?  How do you justify having a "champ" with THAT scenario?
Sally
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2004, 03:25:03 PM »

Cheesy i agree with sally this quirk in the rule will be a rude shock in the next few weeks.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2004, 03:34:17 PM »

Quote from: "sally"
Wouldn't it be cool if the 11th or 12th place driver after Richmond goes on a tear, outpoints everyone in the top 10, and still finishes 11th?  How do you justify having a "champ" with THAT scenario?
Sally

I was just reading Track Smack, which is the only thing I ever look at on NOL.  This week Matt Kenseth is their guest driver and below are some excerpts from what he had to say about the whole deal.  He makes some excellent points and some of the same ones that you do, Sally.  

"Matt Kenseth: I think the hardest thing about is if someone is 600 or 700 points behind and has gotten the lucky dog thing a bunch of times to get free laps back and hasn't had a good year, to put them almost even with Jeff Gordon, who's won however many races he's won and done so great all year and has one DNF at the end and loses the championship, I don't know if that's fair.

There's another thing that might be kind of weird that somebody brought up to me, and I don't if it'd make any sense or not, but if they're only having the top-10 drivers eligible anyway, start 'em all out at zero and give 10 points for the winner and one point for whoever finishes last out of those 10 cars. That way, if you have a DNF and finish 43rd you're not totally out of it.

Just rank the top-10 against each other. Don't rank them by how they finish against everybody else, who isn't running in the Chase. The way this point system is set up, it's supposed to reward winning races and not necessarily so heavy on consistency. In my book, for these last 10 it's almost more weighted on consistency because the guy who has one problem and gets his 38 points or whatever it is for last, compared to the guy who finishes fifth or sixth every week, is going to have a real problem beating that guy, so I think it's still really weighted on consistency over the last 10.

If he drops out of even one or two of them he's going to lose to that guy.

There are some funny things about it that could work out, too. The guy that's 10th in points after all them races could go to the Bahamas for two months and still walk up on stage at the banquet and be 10th in points, and the guy who was 11th could win all 10 races in the Chase and not make the top-10.

There are definitely some weird things about it."

The whole article is here, but basically most of the NOL guys think the Chase is great so they have more to "talk about."  Jeez...

http://www.nascar.com/2004/news/features/track_smack/08/31/smack_fontana/index.html

Cheryl
sally
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2004, 03:47:55 PM »

Cheryl, I've felt all along that most non racing media find it easy to put down points in a column and pretend that they are covering racing.  That's why they like it.  Notice that most of the media coverage has nothing to do with the actual race, just the "middle" drivers?  It will be interesting to see if the points coverage continues in all these media once football gets going.
Sally
Vivian
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2004, 05:29:16 PM »

The cruelest of all would be if someone in 14th or 15th really went on a tear and scored enough points to get him down to 9th or 10th and yet he was stuck with 12th because 11th had a better end to season; so 11th would get to still go, but the one who could have make it to 10th didn't even make 11th because even though 11th had great runs, he could not advance to 8th or 9th and vacate 11th.   Then someone in top 10 had 2 or 3 dnfs and normally would have fallen to 12th or so but can now stay in top 10 and be on stage.  Make sense?  Stupid?  Yes, yes, yes.  All these what ifs and no solutions due to points chase.   :mrgreen:  Dang, dang, dang ..... :evil:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: