November 20, 2017, 02:41:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: quals in the chase for the championship  (Read 2450 times)
ronbarnes77
Legend

« on: August 20, 2004, 10:16:03 PM »

i want to get evervbody's thoughts on what nascar should do if during the chase a race's quals are rained out.
sally
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2004, 12:49:16 AM »

Start the cars in inverse order.

Sally
Vivian
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2004, 01:57:05 AM »

I never thought of that happening.  Wonder what they will do?   :? Probably the same as usual although Sally's idea sounds better to me.
Lou
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2004, 01:58:49 AM »

Musical Cars.

Have all the cars lined up on pit road, minus however many make it more than 43. Leave out the Shelmerdine and Shepard cars for sure.

Get all the drivers at the ready, including the "extra" ones who are now without cars. Have the P.A. system blast out Pink Floyd's "Money" and the drivers start circling around the cars until the music stops and then they jump in the cars nearest them.

That's the cars they drive, those who weren't fast enough go home.

Then line them up by car #.

:twisted: Lou

Vivian
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2004, 02:03:31 AM »

Lou, you crack me up.   :lol:  :lol:  Sounds good to me.
sally
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2004, 04:47:28 AM »

I think the inverse order is more entertaining...and that's what Nascar is all about these days, isn't it?  Your idea is good, Lou, but it would take way too long!  Let's give those guys at the back a chance to start up front in clean air, and see how well the hot shots do clawing ther way through the field, avoiding wrecks!  Once the crapshoot starts, none of those cars will get any airtime unless they're up front, so lte's even things up a bit!

Sally
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2004, 01:03:26 PM »

Quote from: "ronbarnes77"
i want to get evervbody's thoughts on what nascar should do if during the chase a race's quals are rained out.

I'd like to give Ron a serious answer to his question.  I may be a stick in the mud, but I think he has a real valid point.  

Before 2001, it was highly rare for qualifying for a Cup race to be rained out.  That is because they always had all day Saturday in which to get quals in.  Since Fox decided they wanted to "package" happy hour for broadcast during Saturday, this has severely impacted whether they can get qualifying in if there is rain on Friday.  The new two segments of happy hour are more important to TV than qualifying, which just seems wrong to me.  This is a real pet peeve of mine!   :evil:

Case in point was fall Charlotte two years ago.  Humpy always wants quals on Wed/Thurs night and they were interrupted by rain.  We were heading down there for the race and they had rescheduled them for Thursday morning that year.  There was a little rain on Thursday morning, so NASCAR cancelled quals entirely by 8 a.m..  I remember being ballistic over this at the time!  Here the race was not until Sunday afternoon, so they legitimately had all day (and night) Thursday, Friday AND Saturday to get Cup quals done.  Yet NASCAR cancelled them and set the field on points 3 days before the race!  I felt it gave an unfair advantage to  the points leader at the time.  As we know, many of the popular drivers are not good qualifiers (i.e., Kenseth, Earnhardt, J. Burton).  In 2002, about 3 of the last 6 races were set on points due to NASCAR cancelling quals because TV didn't want to hold them past Friday.  To me, this materially affected the outcome of the 2002 championship.  Tony Stewart is not a consistent qualifer and yet he got to start up front in all of those races (as did Mark Martin, who also doesn't win a lot of poles these days).  

So here we come to this "manufactured" championship playoff this year.  So, say Jeff Gordon continues to be the points leader after Richmond, will it be fair that he gets the pole awarded to him 3 out of the final 10 races if quals are rained out?  Will it be fair that the top 10 in the "chase" are starting in the top 10 for several races because quals are cancelled prematurely by NASCAR?  Talk about stacking the deck!  

I guess my opinion (in my own convoluted way) is that NASCAR should make every effort possible to get quals in for the last 10 races (as they should the entire season).  If this means running quals as late as Saturday evening, they ought to make that effort.  If this whole deal is SO important to NBC, they can record them and play back highlights of them during the pre-race show or something.  Of course, we all know the entire series has turned into nothing but a made-for-TV show since 2001, so this will never happen.  But that sure seems like the fair thing to me.  Give the drivers outside the top ten a legitimate chase to compete for a top-10 starting position, instead of artificially giving yet another advantage to the guys already sitting in the top 10.  If NASCAR really wants to give all teams an equal chance to some TV coverage and the win, this is what I think they ought to do.

Okay, my rant is over now.   Sorry... Smiley

Cheryl
marrtinigirl
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2004, 04:38:37 PM »

I agree with you, Cheryl.  Qualifying is important and should ALWAYS be done, unless it rains up until race day.

I think, though, that if, for some reason (like what I stated above) qualifying doesn't get done, you are right, doing it according to points is definitely stacking the deck.  Those guys DON'T qual well and shouldn't be given the advantage.

I think they should start the race according to finishing order from the week before.  For one reason, I think it gives a little more to the winner of the race, not just the points, and two, if the top guys had bad runs and say Ken Schrader or like Jeff Burton last week, had a good run, then they are rewarded for that by being able to start closer to the top.  

I don't know, perhaps it is a bad idea, but I think it is better than starting on points.

Staci
Vivian
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2004, 04:50:53 PM »

With luck no quals will be rained out.  But since when have we had luck lately?  They, IMO, always stack the deck.   :wink:
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2004, 03:38:09 PM »

the reason why i wanted everybody's opinion is because this issue could have a big impact upon the race for the title.
Lou
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2004, 03:45:01 PM »

Quote from: "ronbarnes77"
the reason why i wanted everybody's opinion is because this issue could have a big impact upon the race for the title.
We are always complaining about too many rule changes, so I say that there should be no difference during the last 10 races as far as the qualifying rules go. Keep it that same as it is right now. If it rains, start on points.

Lou

ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2004, 10:07:17 PM »

just keep in mind lou  that  this could end up deciding the title.
sally
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2004, 12:07:06 AM »

Who cares who wins the mini title?  I think it would be a hoot if the 12th place driver goes on a tear, wins 3 or 4 of the last 10 races, gets more points than anyone in the top 10....and ends up finishing in 12th place.  Then Nascar can try to justify how their new system produces a "real" champ!

OK.  So I'm a little bitter, alright! :?
Sally
Vivian
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2004, 04:00:48 PM »

Although I am trying very hard to be objective about this whole thing, my mind keeps telling me that the championship is based on a season long consistantancy.  I guess I will crown 3 champions.  One after Richmond - who ever is ahead in points, one along with Nascar's rules and one who would have won if the points had not been changed after Richmond.  May be hard for me to figure that one but someone will and when they say who it would have been under the old system, then he will be my overall champion.  The thing that bothers me most about this whole thing are the drivers who could have made it into the top ten the old way and now they won't be able to advance any further than 11th.  Sad, sad  Sad
BTW, by mini title you did mean the last ten races, right?
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2004, 04:08:43 PM »

Vivian is right.  Bill Elliott and Tony Stewart advanced to the top ten in last year's standings within the final ten races, while Kurt Busch and Michael Waltrip dropped out.

Now, a driver under these circumstances must stay home and eat pizza while the "locked-in" top ten get to go to the banquet Sad

This thing doesn't look good.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: