November 22, 2017, 08:22:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Allmendinger Out of 84?  (Read 649 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: September 23, 2008, 04:46:36 PM »

He's actually one of the few open-wheel guys I have been kind of impressed with.  Hopefully he'll end up with Ganassi like the rumors say.  Just can't stand Scott Speed.  From Jayski:

"Red Bull Racing Team and driver AJ Allmendinger have agreed to part ways for the 2009 Sprint Cup Series season. Allmendinger is in his second Sprint Cup Series season driving the #84 Red Bull Toyota, which currently sits 34th in owners' points. "AJ is a talented driver and we really enjoyed working with him," said RBRT Vice President and General Manager Jay Frye. "He's come a long way in just two years and we wish him nothing but the best." In an effort to continue the development of the #84 team, Red Bull athlete Mike Skinner will drive the #84 Red Bull Toyota during this week's Lowe's Motor Speedway open test. Skinner has been called upon by RBRT on multiple occasions since the team's 2006 NSCS entrance, including a five-race stint in the #84 earlier in the 2008 season, as well as mentor duties for both Allmendinger and Red Bull development driver Scott Speed. Skinner will round off a three-car test for Red Bull Racing Team alongside Red Bull development driver Scott Speed in the #82, and Brian Vickers in the #83. Red Bull Racing Team will make an announcement regarding the 2009 driver lineup at a later date.(Red Bull Racing PR) no word on who will drive the car at Kansas. (9-23-2008)"

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 05:06:47 PM »

Looks like AJ is out immediately.  Too bad that he couldn't finish out the season, unlike the other lame duck drivers. Sad

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 06:51:19 PM »

Well, it's official.   Sad  After finishing a career best of 9th Sunday at KC, AJ is out of the ride.  Sure hope he ends up at Ganassi as rumors have speculated he might.  From Jayski:

"Red Bull Racing Team announced Mike Skinner and Red Bull development driver Scott Speed to replace AJ Allmendinger in the #84 for the rest of the 2008 Sprint Cup Series season. The #84 currently sits 33rd in owners’ points. "The schedule we put together is in the best interest of both Red Bull Racing Team and AJ's plans for the future,” said RBRT Vice President and General Manager Jay Frye. Allowing Mike Skinner and Scott Speed to share the #84 for the balance of the season helps our team continue developing our program for the future.” Mike Skinner, who drove the #84 Red Bull Toyota for five races earlier in the 2008 season, will take the reins of the #84 at the NSCS races in both Talladega and Charlotte. Red Bull development driver Scott Speed will drive the #82 Red Bull Toyota at Charlotte on October 11 – the same weekend he attempts to clinch the ARCA RE/MAX Series championship in Toledo. Speed will then take over driving duties of the #84 at Martinsville, Atlanta, Texas, Phoenix and Homestead.(RBRT PR)(9-30-2008)"

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 08:29:50 PM »

That is really too bad for A.J.  I think that young man has great potential, possibly even better than Vickers has been doing.  But that is just what I think, not necessarily what everyone else thinks.

I only wish it had happened sooner so he could have possibly been in the running for the RCR ride. I like Casey Mears, but I think in the long run, A.J. would be better.  JMO
shawn
Legend

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 09:45:44 PM »

I thought he was coming along pretty good as a cup driver.  Seemed once they had Skinner drive the car for a few races, it kinda picked them all up.  Also, wish they had given him some more time, he really didn't drive much in a Bush or Truck ride before being thrown to the Cup car. 

Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 05:48:52 PM »

AJ's immediate removal is shameful enough.  It would be worse if he starts 2009 without a ride.

I think the reason for the change is because Scott Speed was in Formula One and is therefore better known in countries outside the U.S.  This is in line with NASCAR's goal of international outreach.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
super61
Grizzled Veteran

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 04:22:48 AM »

i sort of get your reasoning desmond, but if he was such a good driver why did red bull take him out of the F1 car? the influx of open wheelers and the lack of sponsoship dollars will leave a few big teams low on talent and fields that will not be full next year

never under estimate what an angry mob can accomplish
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: