November 24, 2017, 07:26:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dr. Jerry Punch  (Read 839 times)
Desmond
All-Star

« on: September 16, 2008, 05:44:04 PM »

On this thread, I would like to know what you think of the announcing style of ESPN/ABC play-by-play announcer Dr. Jerry Punch.  This has been a hot topic on other sites, like Daly Planet.  Those sites have raised the question of whether or not Dr. Punch is too laid back to keep up with the action, and even whether or not he should be replaced.

Personally, I think his work needs improvement.  His biggest problems include the overuse of cliches (like "For you [fill in the blank] fans" and "Sailing") and repeating the most basic information, like car numbers and hometowns.  But not all of this is his fault.  The races are overproduced, Punch has to compete with a lot of other voices all over the racetrack, and all of this has to be programmed around a lot of commercial breaks and network announcements.  (The promos are bound to go up with the races now on ABC and the fall lineup now being rolled out.)

Would a change to Allen Bestwick or someone else be the best thing?  On paper, it would be, but if the broadcasts stay the way they have been, it will make absolutely no difference.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 06:42:53 PM »

I don't have that big of a problem with Dr. Punch.  I'd certainly take his style over the hype and "me-me-me" attitude that Larry and DW have at Fox.  I'm sure we'd all prefer Allen in the booth, but ESPN obviously isn't going to do that, so I'm okay with Jerry.

Cheryl
Benson23Fan
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 01:57:32 AM »

There's just something about the ESPN team that sucks the life out of watching the race for me. Motorsports Play by Play is quite a difficult task, you have to find the stories and build on them throughout the race. You have to properly set the tone and make clear exactly what is happening on the screen. Some people can do this, and some people can't. Mike Joy is the current master of the art, Bob Jenkins was good at it, Ken Squier had it, Rick Allen has it, Allen Bestwick definitely has it, Bill Weber even has the ability, but I'm afraid Jerry just doesn't have it. When an accident or something occurs DJ or Andy always have to step in, usually there's silence from the booth and awkward moments of confusion. Jerry doesn't take control of the situation and Andy and DJ always take over. Allen Bestwick is the key for ESPN and Jerry would be well suited for the studio role. For whatever reason the networks seem to do what the Daly Planet suggests so don't be surprised if this change happens at some point down the road.

That and I'm sick of hearing "heavy impact!" for everything that happens!
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 12:30:13 PM »

There's just something about the ESPN team that sucks the life out of watching the race for me.

Now see, I guess I'm just the opposite.  I don't need a TV crew to create excitement for me. 

Rick Allen has it,

I find the truck races nearly impossible to watch these days.  Ever since they added Waltrip, his manic way of talking all the time is unbearable and it's started to affect Rick and Allen as well.  Obviously someone at Fox told them they have to interject fake excitement and "energy" all the time.  When Rick screams "THREE-WIDE RACING" and the pass is over before he gets those three words out, I just want to scream. 

Cheryl
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 03:06:33 PM by Cheryl » Logged
Steve
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 11:18:11 PM »

I have to agree with Cheryl on that last point. I don't like the booth chemistry for the Truck races at all; Michael certainly doesn't help that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: