November 18, 2017, 05:38:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Earthquake Near Los Angeles  (Read 619 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: July 29, 2008, 08:20:11 PM »

Lou just told me a 5.8 earthquake has been reported near Los Angeles.  I went to cnn.com and listened to some eyewitness reports.  It sounds like buildings swayed, but nothing fell down, which is great!  The USGS said the epicenter was near Chino Hills, CA. 

Not sure how far that is from Desmond, but hope you and your family were not affected.

Cheryl

Vivian
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 12:37:37 AM »

Des, check in with us and let us know all is well (we hope).

Thanks
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 05:49:02 PM »

Here's the first-hand account you have been waiting for:

I was eating at the restaurant formerly known as Kentucky Fried Chicken.  The sound startled me as it did to everyone else.  One of the reasons was that this area has not had an earthquake like that in 14 years, although it was not as bad as that last quake, Northridge in 1994.

I ended up near the glass entrance, which could have been a very bad thing if the quake was larger.

When I heard the number 5.4, I was surprised.  From my experience, I thought it was much worse.  The explanation I later heard was that the epicenter was not that much below the surface, which magnified the shaking.

There were no major injuries and only one building suffered serious damage.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: