November 20, 2017, 04:48:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sirius/XM Merger Approved  (Read 1654 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: July 28, 2008, 01:50:55 PM »

I'm not sure if this is a good thing at all but I just saw this on one of my AV forums.  I'd like to get access to MRN/PRN again, but I'm not sure I'm willing to sacrifice all the wonderful music choices I enjoy on XM.  Plus I sure hope we don't lose Claire B. Lang's show.  I'll never be able to stomach Dave Moody as an alternative:

"WASHINGTON (AP) -- Federal regulators formally approved the merger of the nation's only two satellite radio operators Friday, ending a 16-month-long drama closely watched by Washington and Wall Street.

Sirius Satellite Radio Inc.'s $3.3 billion buyout of rival XM Satellite Radio Holdings Inc. will mean 18 million-plus subscribers will be able to receive programming from both services. Executives say it will mean huge cost savings that will lead to a first-ever profit for the relatively nascent industry.

The Federal Communications Commission voted 3-2 to approve the buyout, with the tie-breaking vote coming Friday night from Republican commissioner Deborah Taylor Tate.

Tate had insisted that the companies settle charges that they violated FCC rules before she would approve the deal. The companies agreed this week to pay $19.7 million to the U.S. Treasury for violations related to radio receivers and ground-based signal repeaters.

FCC Chairman Kevin Martin confirmed the final 3-2 vote Friday night.

"I think it's going to be, in the end, a good thing for consumers and be in the public interest," he told The Associated Press.

The approval appeared to hit a glitch on Friday when a dispute surfaced between the chairman and Tate over the enforcement issue, but differences between the two were quickly resolved, and the approval went forward."

If you are interested, here's the entire discussion thread from dbstalk.com:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=134137

Cheryl
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 02:04:52 PM by Cheryl » Logged
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 03:57:20 PM »

I agree, Cheryl. We will just have to wait and see, I guess.

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
shawn
Legend

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 01:33:14 AM »

My only worry is what they are going to charge.  I've heard they may do a plan where you can pick and choose what channels you want and pay based on that.

Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 12:16:33 PM »

My only worry is what they are going to charge.  I've heard they may do a plan where you can pick and choose what channels you want and pay based on that.

Yes, both services have had lists of possible a la carte programming listed on their sites.  Something like for $6.95 a month, you can pick your favorite 50 channels from either service.  I could certainly live with that, but I don't know if Lou and I could agree on the same 50 channels.   laugh

I'm just not sure how this would affect getting the NASCAR channel as all sports channels are lumped together for something like $9.95.  At that price, I don't know that I'd be willing to pay it since I could care less about the NFL, hockey, college football, etc. and wouldn't want to just subsidize those to get the MRN/PRN race broadcasts. 
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 02:48:46 PM »

I think Roberta and I could agree on 50 channels, but like you, Cheryl, I don't want to pay for a lot of sports packaging just to get racing, tho I still like PRN/MRN better than TV.

William James
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 04:58:31 PM »

I have never had satellite radio, but because of the merger and the availability of portable units I could take with me, I have begun to go shopping for it.

Also, I can listen to some of the XM channels on DirecTV.  They are in the 800s.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 06:25:09 PM »

I have never had satellite radio, but because of the merger and the availability of portable units I could take with me, I have begun to go shopping for it.

Desmond, I would wait until they have the new unit that supports both services available.  Right now, anything you buy from XM or Sirius will not get the other's programming (even in the future).

Cheryl
shawn
Legend

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 02:58:07 PM »

Mel Karmazin, the head of Sirius was on the Howard Stern show this morning to talk about the merger and heres some of the stuff he mentioned

*All existing radios for both Sirius and XM will continue to work.  He used the example of all the cars out there that have them built in.
*They may combine some channels, but both will still broadcast their own content.
*There will be no price increase for 3 years
*If you have XM and wanted to listen to Sirius content it'll be $4 a month more.  The only stations he mentioned being available for this was Howards 2.  They are still discussing what the others will be.  I'm pretty sure the same format will be available for Sirius people who want XM content

old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 03:21:10 PM »

I'll pass on Howard, thanks just the same.

BTW, Kids, remember when Sirius went overboard on paying for the exclusive rights to Nascar, and Howard, etc. And gee whizz, now they are talking about saving on costs,.... golly, I could make a couple of suggestions.!! Grin

William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 03:29:45 PM »

Yeah, I agree with Dick.  I can easily live without Howard, Ophra or any of these "star" talk shows. 

Here's a page with the press release that explains the price plans they've announced: 

http://xmradio.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=press_releases&item=1472

Honestly, I think it confuses me even more and I think I'm pretty savvy on this stuff!   Huh?  Plus, it sounds like if I want to keep my $6.99 rate on my 3 additional radios, I have to purchase the "everything" package.  Ugh...

Also, I've always paid in advance for a multi-year contract to keep the rate on my main unit at $9.99 a month, so I wonder what effect this merger has on that???  Like I said in my initial post, I'm just not convinced this merger is really a good thing for the consumer. 

Cheryl
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 03:53:08 PM by Cheryl » Logged
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 05:43:56 PM »

In addition, if you want to listen to, for example, both NASCAR (Sirius) and IndyCar (XM), you will still have to pay twice for entire packages. Sad

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 05:48:57 PM »

In addition, if you want to listen to, for example, both NASCAR (Sirius) and IndyCar (XM), you will still have to pay twice for entire packages. Sad

I'll glad give up my access to Indy cars... laugh

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 06:22:13 PM »

They make it clear that the "a la carte" option requires new equipment. So I'm not so sure that this deal will do much for me. Oh well, maybe my expectations were too high. Sad

William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 06:26:36 PM »

Yep, for those of us with factory radios in our vehicles, new equipment is not an option...

Lou and I each have a portable unit in the office as well, so unless they're going to give away the new equipment for free, I can't see the "deal" on a smaller monthly fee as being worth anything.

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008, 05:05:22 PM »

I'll gladly buy your old equipment, Dick! laugh

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: