November 23, 2017, 08:35:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Compromising  (Read 1666 times)
Vivian
« on: July 09, 2008, 12:56:43 AM »

There is currently money crunching going on these days for ordinary people like me.

I am just curious.  Can you name 3 to 5 things that you feel you will never compromise on or do without until the economy is steady again? 

They can be anything like major items, air conditioning, food brands, trips, entertainment or whatever it is in your life that you feel you just cannot possibly do without and will compromise or do without other things in order to have them.

Things for me that come to mind are:  1. My electrolux vaccuum and if necessary, a new electrolux when this one wears out.  2. The laundry detergent & softner I always use.  3. My special face lotion.  I am thinking about possibly 2 more but right now, nothing seems that necessary unless it is money for fuel to visit family.

old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 02:50:19 PM »

1--A/C in the summer, (we big guys hate humidity, like John Madden says);

2--heat in the winter;

3-- Seeing my grandkids, even a $6.00 per gallon;

More later.

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
sally
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 09:07:48 PM »

Coca Cola, Northern bath tissue, and cigarettes.

Sally
Lou
Administrator
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 11:42:57 PM »

1.) my computer (which to me includes the computer and all the various websites I run)

2.) somewhat agreeing with Sally, but I prefer Charmin

3.) COLD beer.

Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 01:36:10 AM »

1.  High-speed internet access at home

2.  DirecTV - gotta have my HD channels and movies

3.  XM radio - could never go back to commercial-filled FM radio

4.  While we've cut out at least 3 race trips this season, I don't know that I could live without some sort of racing fix and time away from work and this area.

Edit:  Just got back from the grocery store at lunchtime and thought of another one: 

5.  12-pack of 12-oz bottles of Diet Dr. Pepper - they are rarely on sale, but so hard to find, I'll readily pay $4.99 for them for the convenience of being able to reseal them when I can't drink the whole thing.

Don't care about fancy TP - Scott Tissue works just fine for me.   laugh

Cheryl
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 05:41:19 PM by Cheryl » Logged
shawn
Legend

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 11:32:58 PM »

1. Heat
2. Auto Racing
3. HD TV
4. From Lou's list, BEER
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 12:04:52 AM by shawn » Logged

Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 04:56:29 PM »

*HDTV (now that I have it)
*Internet access
*Cloud 9 DVD from Living Arts - makes me feel like I'm in heaven (you can find the DVD at Bed Bath & Beyond)

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
cowboy271
Grizzled Veteran

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 04:19:43 AM »

1.  Fishing...even though I can't afford gas for my boats, I still manage to get a few meals a week in the surf.

2.  Ice cold beer to go with the fishing and fish dinners.

3.  As Dick said, gas to visit with my granddaughter in Charlotte.  If gas gets to 12 bucks a gallon, I gotta see her.

4.  My horses.  It costs more every day to feed them but they'll live out their remaining life with me.

I'm keeping with NASCAR's theme.."Idiot of Tomorrow" so Speedcouch needs a new resident idiot.
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 05:45:26 PM »

James, as a former horse owner, I can say that you got "it" bad when the darn nags become pets, like a dog or a cat. Grin My daughters have it that bad, but only one currently has a horse.

Have you heard of the farm near GEORGETOWN, kY. where these folks keep cast away thorobreds to live out their lives? It is kind of a neat story, and if my feeble mind can remember the name of it, I'll pass it on.

Anyhow, my middle daughter lives in Lexington, fewer than 10 miles away, and I suggested to her that she should volunteer there.

The founders of the place were a couple of journalists for the BOSTON GLOBE. They got the horse bug bad, and one thing lead to another.

Dick

William James
sally
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 09:34:18 PM »

I didn't put my horse on my list, because after 5 years without one, I will never do that again!  just survived our first show this past weekend, and we both came home without any embarrassing moments, and are still speaking to each other!

Sally
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2008, 10:43:22 PM »

Sally, that's funny. Grin The way some folks act at horse shows is really something. Congratulations on surviving. Any ribbons?

I used to be the announcer at my kids" club's show, and I had a blast doing that. We do have some stories, I'll guarantee you. The time spent with the kids and their horses is just one of the reasons that I didn't spend much time watching races in the '80s.

William James
cowboy271
Grizzled Veteran

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2008, 02:06:13 AM »

I know the intent of this thread wasn't horses, but they've made my life complete and to watch my two year old granddaughter get out of the car after a four hour ride and run to the barn seeking the horses brings tears to my eyes.  My wife and I have raised hundreds of "barn rats" and they've never turned out to be an embarrassment to us or their family's.  Wasn't it Teddy Roosevelt who said "The outside of a horse is good for the inside of man"?

Dick, I'm glad to hear of the rescue center for the broken down, neglected race horses.  I read a year ago or so that there was a real problem in eastern Ky/western WV with abandoned horses.     

I'm keeping with NASCAR's theme.."Idiot of Tomorrow" so Speedcouch needs a new resident idiot.
sally
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2008, 12:33:31 PM »

To continue the digression here...yes, Mouse managed to bring home a couple ribbons.  With only 4 horses in the Very Green division we were showing in, we got one default 4th place, but took 2nd in the next class...in spite of just trotting all the fences on course!

My trainer has a 3 yo TB that he got from an organization here in MI called CANTER that takes in race horses.  Several tracks here closed down, and they find good homes for many of them.

Sally
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2008, 02:43:01 PM »

Vivian, Cheryl, I hope you don't mind our getting off track so much in this thread.
Every now and then I read about some abandoned/neglected horses, here in our area and elsewhere. It always worries me because horses are a lot more to take care of than cats or dogs.

Congrats Sally.

William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2008, 02:48:33 PM »

Vivian, Cheryl, I hope you don't mind our getting off track so much in this thread.

Doesn't bother me a bit!  That's what "chit-chat" is for.   Smiley  I just like to keep the "rating" threads more focused. 

Cheryl
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: