November 20, 2017, 11:58:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New HD set  (Read 900 times)
Desmond
All-Star

« on: July 05, 2008, 07:17:09 PM »

My family now has DirecTV HD!  We took advantage of the opportunity that happened when the picture tube of our 10-year-old big-screen set suddenly went down.  The new set is a Samsung brand, 52 inches.  We also now own a Blu-Ray DVD player.  I took the DVD/VCR player that was on the old set and it is now in my room.

I watched last night's race on the new HD set and I can't believe how clear and sharp everything looks. Smiley Smiley

We do not yet have speakers, which would improve the audio.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Steve
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 07:17:39 AM »

52"? Blu-Ray? I'm jealous... Cry
shawn
Legend

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 02:46:55 PM »

Congrats!  I to was amazed how good the picture looked when 1st got HD. 

Steve
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 12:10:03 PM »

Yeah, I was an HD nay-sayer when I first heard about HD. I didn't think it was physically possible to get a picture that nice. Boy, I was wrong!
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 12:53:51 PM »

Congratulations, Desmond!  That's cool!  So you were able to get a DirecTV HD receiver in time for the race? 

Our new TV is a Samsung and after a problem with the first one we got last August, this one has been rock solid since October.  But the Picture in Picture was a lot more useful in our "old" Mitsubishi.  But the picture quality in the Samsung DLP is a lot crisper.

Congrats, again!

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 06:35:21 PM »

Yes, I did get a DirecTV HD receiver and that's how I watched the Busch race.

As for picture in picture, I thought that feature wasn't available with our new set.  I'll have to try to find a way to do it.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 06:42:50 PM »

As for picture in picture, I thought that feature wasn't available with our new set.  I'll have to try to find a way to do it.

It's not available in all of them - it's just that I paid extra on my Samsung for the model that had that and a few other features.  Then to find out it only works with analog over the air channels is extremely disappointing.  Whereas with our Mitsubishi HDTV, you could have two satellite signals in the two pictures and easily switch between modes. 

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 06:50:15 PM »

I have just tried it out myself and that's exactly what happened.  Bummer.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: