November 24, 2017, 07:12:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nascar Burn Out  (Read 1373 times)
buddy_love
Rookie

« on: February 23, 2004, 10:00:04 PM »

I have to say that it is refreshing to find a bulletin board where people don't immediately attack you for having an opinion.

I have an extremely bad case of Nascar burn out.  Like I said on another post that the FOX and NBC broadcasts have added to that.  There is nothing new.  The same driver interviews, the same commercials, same announcers, same cliche's, same jokes, etc.

I also dislike this "We are so patriotic and religious" theme that Nascar has adopted.  Then they have the nerve to attack the NFL.  Okay the NFL made a mistake.  Why keep trying to put on this pseudo mask of being so family oriented, loving, caring, and patriotic?  Come on we know that it is only for the money.

One of the things that has added to my burn out is events this past year.  We have been faithful season ticket holders for a track here.  We've had a bad year with my wife and myself getting laid off then add some serious medical problems on top of that.

I wrote this track a very kind email explaining our situation and asking if they could keep our season tickets in our name for this year but let someone else buy them and we will get them next year.  When we get back on our feet money wise.  

After five years of being a loyal season ticket holder you'd think they could accommodate us for this year.  Right?  Also, since Nascar is such a loving (religious) and loyal (patriotic) family.  Right?  You'd think loving people could accommodate someone who has lost their job and going through chemotherapy.  Right?  Wrong!

No, that was too much to ask.  They said they couldn't do it.  It would mess up their ordering system.  We would have to apply for season tickets next year in other words get back on the waiting list.

Are you kidding me?  Is this a dream or nightmare?  That is why this patriotic and religious pre-race stuff is a big joke.

Nascar is loyal to only one thing - the almighty dollar.

BL
buddy_love
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2004, 10:07:09 PM »

I didn't write this post for anyone to feel sorry for us or to ask for charity.  This is the honest to God truth.  I just needed to get this off my chest.  

I think Nascar is full of hyprocrisy like our family has just experienced.

Thanks,

BL
sally
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2004, 10:28:35 PM »

I understand how you feel!  I am also tired of the "God and country" schmaltz at the races.  It doesn't speak for ALL the fans, I can ga-ron-tee!

I have season tickets for Bristol, and decided I couldn't really afford to go to both races this year, just like you.  I was lucky enough to find someone to buy my tickets for the March race.  That way I can go to the night race, and still keep my season ticket privileges for next year.  Sorry to hear you didn' have the same luck. :cry:
buddy_love
Rookie

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2004, 10:34:15 PM »

Sally,

Well, it was Bristol who couldn't help us.  And Bruton Smith supposed to care so much about the fans.  That is pure BS.

BL
sally
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2004, 10:39:01 PM »

Bummer.  Sorry to hear that.  I did have to go ahead and order my season tickets, but luckily knew about 4 people who wanted to buy the March tickets.  Of course, they were a lot more expensive this year, since we got a "new" season ticket holder deal last year.  Talk about sticker shock! :?
buddy_love
Rookie

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2004, 01:27:38 AM »

Yes, we were really disappointed about everything.  But then again we started looking at the whole process of going to that particular race.

Like $600 for tickets.  Then over $100 for the campground.  $100-$300 for food, souvenirs, taking off work, loading the van for camping, then either the 1 hour walk back to the campground or 2-3 hour wait to take a bus back.  Unloading the van, cleaning up everything, etc.

Finally, we asked ourselves are we really enjoying ourselves going there?  The talking heads on TV tell us that it is the hottest ticket in motorsports and the best race.  They say we are having a great time.

But then you start asking yourself is it really worth the time and money?  What are we getting out of this deal?  Some memories and souvenirs that get outdated once a sponsor changes or a driver goes to another team.

Maybe they are doing us a favor.  Because everyone in the family is starting to wake up and see that this Nascar obsession is really not worth it.

BL
Vivian
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2004, 01:41:43 AM »

Sorry I can't help you with the ticket thing cause I am too far away but thought you might try putting them on ebay or something like that.  That way maybe you could sell them so you could continue to buy them and keep your spot on the reserved list.
Also, this member will always be open for other's opinions and will not condemn anyone who feels or thinks differently than she does.  That is what makes life so great & versatile.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: