November 24, 2017, 03:30:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good One Tony!  (Read 1512 times)
Benson23Fan
Wiley Veteran

« on: June 23, 2008, 06:02:26 AM »

I loved it during the post race coverage when Marty Snider very obviously tried to bait Tony Stewart into saying something about Kevin Harvick and Stewart had none of it. I never had a problem with Marty right up until that moment and that question. I know a lot of the time from listening to the scanner coverage the reporters are fed the questions to ask by the director or the producer but that was just an obvious attempt at getting a sensational sound bite from a typically hot headed driver. It was entertaining to see it blow up back at them.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 12:44:39 PM »

Yes, it was a tacky question, but I didn't think the driver's response was anything to be admired.  JMHO...

The reporters are only doing what they are paid to do.  The drivers have the choice to ignore them or be rude in return.  All drivers get asked stupid questions by TV/reporters from time to time.  Most of them just ignore them and move on. 

Cheryl
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 12:53:45 PM by Cheryl » Logged
Benson23Fan
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 04:35:41 PM »

The reporters are not paid to do that and I'm not looking for them to incite controversy like Marty was blatantly trying to do yesterday. Cheryl I find your reply interesting as you jumped all over Jamie Little for trying to do the same thing to Kyle Busch at Las Vegas earlier this year during the Nationwide telecast?
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 04:54:48 PM »

Or maybe it was who Stewart was talking to (or not) on the telecast.  Would Stewart have had a different response if Matt Yocum was the pit reporter assigned to interview him?  I think so.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Benson23Fan
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 05:09:51 PM »

I would hope Matt Yocum would not ask such a ridiculous and sensational question. It was such an obvious attempt to bait Tony into saying something and it blew up in Marty's face.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 06:44:26 PM »

Cheryl I find your reply interesting as you jumped all over Jamie Little for trying to do the same thing to Kyle Busch at Las Vegas earlier this year during the Nationwide telecast?

As I said above, I agree that Marty's question was a bad one as was whatever Little tried to do months ago.  My point here is that personally I would rather see drivers who can remain professional and refuse to "take the bait."  I just don't find a driver taking his frustrations out on the TV crew as something I enjoy seeing. 

Cheryl
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 06:50:57 PM by Cheryl » Logged
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 01:17:35 AM »

Speaking of stupid questions being asked, did anyone catch the IRL from Iowa on ABC Sunday? At the end of the race Brianne P (I'm not going to attempt to spell it) asked the crew chief(?) of winner Dan Wheldon a question. I did not hear it but after she asked it the crew chief paused and had a somewhat shocked look on his face then said something like " I can't believe you asked that." Did anyone catch this?

I tuned in to watch a Nationwide race and all I got was Danica.
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 05:03:15 PM »

Sorry that I cannot add any more information about the post-race interview at Iowa; I was in church in Los Angeles at the time.

I can report that the interviewer's name is Brianne Pedigo.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Vivian
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 09:46:25 PM »

Benson23Fan, I totally agree with both your posts.  I think they do it not only to create controvercy between drivers, but also for sensationalism.  My favorite response from Tony when he is asked those kind of questions is "You tell me...you're the reporter".

Desmond, I think he would have responded to any media person that way.  He just has different facial expressions for different reporters.

Benson23Fan
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 05:33:13 AM »

Meh, if all the drivers kept their emotions in check all the time it would become very boring... oh wait...
Vivian
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008, 08:11:59 PM »

I feel that they (media) single out the ones who don't hold their emotions in check to approach in that manner because it might result in an explosive or what I call a basically true feelings response.  I have never been a fan of what I call the politically correct responses which some drivers seem to think are appropriate when they have done something questionable on the track.  And in my case, this is part of what makes me like a driver like Tony, along with his exceptional talent.  JMO

Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2008, 04:43:54 PM »

OK, so I stand corrected.  What happened last Sunday between Tony Stewart and Marty Snider was not about the reporter, but about the climate of "gotcha" journalism.  It is part of all of media society, and those who watched the post-race show saw it for ourselves.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: