November 21, 2017, 07:24:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trendy...  (Read 1849 times)
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2004, 09:30:26 PM »

sorry
Vivian
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2004, 09:57:53 PM »

Ron, I hope you know I was just giving you a rough time and teasing you and did not mean anything else.  I kind of expected a tart comeback from you and was kind of disappointed and surprised when it was not there.   Shocked
marrtinigirl
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2004, 02:53:41 PM »

Just another note as to how trendy Nascar has gotten:

I use Yahoo email.  When I boot up the yahoo homepage, there is always a topic called "Most popular searches".  Nascar has been second to Paris Hilton all week.  Nice. :roll:
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2004, 04:17:46 PM »

All I can say is, trendy never lasts.  If fans are not given a reason to keep watching, what difference will it make?  Remember the Spice Girls?  Twin Peaks? The XFL? (and much, much more)

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
sally
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2004, 05:54:14 PM »

HEY!  I liked Twin Peaks!  Watched it all the time, tryin to figure out if any of it made sense.  Hmmm.  Kinda like Nascar these days.  Think there's some connection here?
Sally
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2004, 05:04:06 PM »

Kostas Kenteris, one of the sporting heroes of Greece, faces expulsion from the Olympic Games because he did not show up for a random drug test.  Reportedly, his role as the last torch bearer in Friday's opening ceremony was removed from him.

What does this have to do with NASCAR?  Early this morning on CNBC's Olympic coverage, host Lester Holt asked Los Angeles Times reporter Alan Abrahamson to assess how big the story was in Greece.  Abrahamson compared him to a combination of Michael Jordan and Dale Earnhardt, Jr. (emphasis mine)

Is that trendy or what?

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
marrtinigirl
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2004, 06:59:17 PM »

A combination of Michael Jordon and Dale Earnhardt Jr?  NOW THAT would be one interesting person....And what exactly does that mean?  Those aren't two athletes I would compare at any time.....I think I am missing something.  Call me stupid, but someone please explain to me how they have anything to do with each other.
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2004, 03:41:08 PM »

Staci,

Alan Abrahamson was trying to express how popular and famous Kenteris is.  My point was that Dale Earnhardt, Jr's name would not have been evoked only a few years ago.  In fact, didn't Alan want to say Dale Earnhardt (Sr.) before he realized the "Intimidator" is dead?  In fact, that's what it sounded like to me in the interview.

marrtinigirl
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2004, 05:29:39 PM »

Desmond,

No, I got the popularity thing.  I guess where I became confused, well, not confused (and I wasn't questioning why you brought this up, I understood that) but.... Hmmm, here's what I was getting at....

Michael Jordon is so well known for his sport because he is GOOD.  Tons of championships, lots of points, endorsements, etc.  He got to be so popular because he was just GREAT at what he did.

Dale Jr., on the other hand.....Yes, he is widely popular and he is PRETTY good at what he does, but his popularity seems to come more from his MTV spots, his trendy ads, his party boy ways.  Don't get me wrong, I am in no way knocking JR, I think he has great potential, I just wouldn't compare him to Michael Jordon this early in the game.  He hasn't earned that yet.

Had they used Jeff Gordon in this analogy, or even Dale Sr, then yes, I would agree.

That's all I was getting at.  I understand that you were making the point that NASCAR is so trendy that they are being mentioned in this context, I was just disagreeing with the comment, not with you bringing it up.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: