November 24, 2017, 11:09:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Comments on the Fox Season  (Read 939 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: June 02, 2008, 02:17:30 PM »

From Bob Margolis at Yahoo Sports:

"Sunday's broadcast was the final one by Fox Sports this season. To me, it was their most uninspired season since coming onboard with NASCAR. It was as if they phoned in their entire one-third of the season. Even the goofy gopher cam failed to spark any excitement. Once you've seen it once, well, so what.

And the country music song was just bad. It failed to hit the mark."

"Uninspired" is kind...

And from Matt McLaughlin at Frontstretch.com:

"And on a brighter note, FOX’s reign of terror covering the 08 Cup series is over. Fans will likely feel like they’ve gone deaf with Darrell Waltrip out of the booth."

As usual, I couldn't agree more with Matt's comment.

Cheryl

Benson23Fan
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 05:09:27 PM »

Ratings are up across the board, don't expect any changes for 09.
super61
Grizzled Veteran

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 05:33:31 PM »

funny i was just gonna say that about the ratings, so don't expect much to change. and i think the other networks will be just as gimmicky

ken

never under estimate what an angry mob can accomplish
sally
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 05:39:05 PM »

Ratings are up about 4 % from last year....the year of the worst ratings in what, 10 years?  I'm not sure that's something to brag about.

Sally
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 06:15:05 PM »

I attribute the higher ratings on Fox to the curiosity of the driver changes (especially Dale Earnhardt, Jr.) and higher gas prices keeping fans at home.  It is certainly nothing Fox did.

What was the worst?  A new celebrity theme song?  The corner-camera mascot and the T-shirts that came with it?  Another year of Chris Myers, who apparently still isn't comfortable at NASCAR races after eight years?  Or DW's continued karaoke concert, most recently with one of the songs from FreeCreditReport.com's ad campaign (it sponsors the #38 car)?  I'll be conservative - and go with all of them.

All in all, I can't wait for February 15, 2009. laugh

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Lou
Administrator
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 08:46:49 PM »

Ratings are up about 4 % from last year....the year of the worst ratings in what, 10 years?  I'm not sure that's something to brag about.

Good point Sally.

Comparing yourself to "the worst year ever" is not exactly a high goal to be reaching for.

Comparing the season to their "best year ever" would less a "spin" on a statistic.

How about comparing their ratings to the last couple of years BEFORE FOX got involved?

Lou

Benson23Fan
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 05:49:37 AM »

Sally

This is untrue, before the 2001 television package the tv ratings were actually quite a bit lower. In 2001 NASCAR received a large ratings spike it's never came down from. I also don't think 2007 was the lowest rated season since the new contract, I do however know 2005 was definitely the peak. 
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 02:21:04 PM »

Here's an excerpt from an article by Michael Hiestand of USA TODAY that seems to clear up some of this.  Yes, the ratings are up this season, but only in relationship to how much they were down so much the last two seasons:

"Fox, finishing its 2008 NASCAR race coverage Sunday, averaged 5.7% of U.S. households — up 2% from 2007. But after Fox's 7% drops in each of the past two years, Fox Sports Chairman David Hill is pumped: "NASCAR nation is back and engaged!"  Hill cites a ratings bump among 35-54 year-old males: "Dad's back watching NASCAR, so the family's back watching."

Talk about spin... Roll Eyes

Cheryl
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: