November 24, 2017, 10:34:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So, TNT is less than two weeks away...  (Read 1313 times)
Steve
Wiley Veteran

« on: May 20, 2008, 05:20:10 AM »

In less than two weeks, we'll embark upon the shortest TV run of the season by TNT, which has no other TV obligations than this brief six-race run that will include the Wide Open Coverage at Daytona. So, what do we expect? Even though they went downhill in a few regards last year, they were actually the stability amidst the chaotic Fox broadcasts and the new and confused ESPN ideology. TNT was also the only network to use the old-fashioned row-by-row rundown of the starting grid. Here's hoping that sticks around for this year. Some people have complained that TNT has become too ad-ridden with advertisements for its own shows; how does everyone here feel about that. Also interesting to see is how the TNT director will follow the action compared to Fox. In the past, TNT has always been better at settling down with the camera work and using cameras that are to-the-point and focused on the action; they have also typically shown the majority of the field finish instead of focusing on the winner. Here's hoping that TNT will keep up to its standards and *improve* rather than decline in production values and commentary. On a final note, does anyone know if Hinder is going to return for this year or if they'll scrap Hinder like ESPN scrapped Aerosmith?

Then after that, Cup coverage obviously goes to ESPN. Hopefully they'll continue to improve as they have so far so that their broadcasts will actually be decent again. At least the non-NASCAR studio hosts of Musburger and Kolber are no more, and the studio segments flow more naturally under the guidance of Bestwick.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 01:08:56 PM »

I've been reading that all week on the net about how TNT promotes their own shows so much.  Excuse me, but does no one notice all the promos for Fox shows during their broadcasts?  Like the Simpsons and stuff like that? 

Count me among those who long for TNT.  I don't have that big a problem with Bill Weber (like some do).  He's certainly more professional and focused than DW and Larry.  And I have always thought Wally was the most under-rated "color" guy out there.  He certainly doesn't have the ego of DW and neither does Kyle. 

I'm counting the days till Fox is a bad memory...

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 05:02:04 PM »

Good review, Steve!

As for promotion of entertainment programs, every network does that, only the extent differs from place to place.  I think the ads on TNT are more noticeable because there are so few races on TNT and because the programs (Saving Grace, The Closer) are the highest-rated on the channel.

I also look forward to ESPN/ABC coverage starting in late July.  We've seen a glimpse of how different the broadcasts have looked with Bestwick in the pit studio instead of "the outsiders" and if it is indeed better, we'll gladly take it as viewers.

As for FOX, it has "jumped the shark" and is need of changes for 2009.  But I doubt we'll see them since it would require a change in culture that the network is unwilling to make.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Benson23Fan
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 05:44:58 PM »

I doubt will see any major changes on FOX as the ratings have been up slightly this year. I think the problem with TNT is they promote their own shows after every break. It's obvious they use the NASCAR coverage is a big promotion for the network. I think the Six race TNT package was definitely a mistake for NASCAR.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 06:55:38 PM »

It's obvious they use the NASCAR coverage is a big promotion for the network.

As I read on one of my A/V forums, all networks use sports' coverage to promote their primetime shows...I'm not sayings it's right, but that's apparenlty the only reason they bid on sports' broadcast rights, be it football or whatever...

Cheryl
Steve
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 08:10:42 PM »

I know a user over at The Daly Planet spoke of hoping that TNT observed the best of Fox and the best of ESPN and hoping that TNT will follow that route. I just hope TNT doesn't wind up pulling what ESPN did last year by blindly assuming that the Fox way is the right way. They certainly learned the hard way that doing that doesn't work. Having Neil Goldberg back from his 6-year reign at Fox certainly didn't help ESPN's cause either. TNT better stay level-headed as they always have been compared to Fox. They should also work to make sure that every restart is televised; not doing so will certainly tick off a lot of fans. (not saying that Fox doesn't do this already, but hey, it took until this year for more people to finally start speaking out against Fox; what does that say about how Fox has so many viewers brainwashed?)
Benson23Fan
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 02:05:51 AM »

I think with TNT only showing six stand alone races and not showing the practice or qualifying you can't really expect too much out of them. I still think the TNT package is dumb and not needed.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 12:13:38 PM »

I still think the TNT package is dumb and not needed.

Apparently NA$CAR needed their money...

Cheryl
BrettBaldeck
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 12:52:38 PM »

Well NASCAR has been broadcasted on a Turner Network for over 20 years now. The six-race deasl was made to make TNT Happy since NBC dropped out. TNT did not want to cut their ties with NASCAR. I actually do not mind the six race schedule they have.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 01:06:41 PM »

I guess I have always thought it was more a case of ESPN not willing to pay the price NA$CAR wanted for the entire 2nd half of the season, so they split it with TNT to defray some of the extortion money BF wanted...

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2008, 04:21:37 PM »

Oh, I just remembered: we don't know what the pre-race will be like this coming year.  Will it be again 90 minutes in two segments, or back to 30 minutes again?  I ask the question because Marc Fein has been re-assigned to Major League Baseball on TBS.  That also airs on Sundays.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Steve
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2008, 05:48:06 AM »

TBS might put Ernie Johnson into the host position for the MLB during TNT's coverage of NASCAR. It's been mentioned already that Johnson will host several editions of the MLB studio show this year.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: