November 23, 2017, 08:37:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My email exchange with a popular NASCAR site  (Read 714 times)
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« on: April 29, 2008, 02:33:27 AM »

Saturday afternoon I logged onto a very popular, unofficial NASCAR news and rumor site. The first thing I saw was the winner of Friday nights ARCA race. This race was to be televised on tape Saturday night. Knowing the winner, especially after what happened to him during the race, kind of ruined the broadcast. I sent a nice email to the webmaster explaining my disappointment and suggested that the post be listed a "spoiler". I mentioned that maybe he did not know the race was on tape delay. Now I know it is the website operators right to run the site the way they want but at least the article could have been listed so the winners name was not in your face.
 Well I was a bit shocked by the reply. My email, and others like it, were deemed "idiotic" and I was called stupid for going to a sports site if I did not want to know the score.  I politely emailed back saying I was not expecting to find ARCA results on a NASCAR related site on a page titled "Cup news" and I was smart enough to stay away from the official ARCA site to avoid the results. The reply was along the lines of "it's my site, I'll post what I want and I don't care if it is a spoiler".
  So, if the website operator had just politely explained his site is a news site and the winner of the ARCA race was  NASCAR related news I would have accepted that.  Calling me "stupid" and "idiotic" just made me laugh and wonder why he has such contempt for his site visitors. I'll still visit but I think I'll be using other sites for some of the info I used to get there and will no longer use links on that site to get to other racing sites.

I tuned in to watch a Nationwide race and all I got was Danica.
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 02:35:32 AM »

Even if this site had not shown the winner Speed announced who won during the truck race which was strange because the ARCA race followed the truck race on Speed. Were is the incentive to watch if the ending is spoiled by the network that is showing it?

Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 12:51:15 PM »

That IS stupid, Brian!  I agree with you that you should not expect to see ARCA results on a NASCAR site.  I recorded the ARCA race since we were away this weekend and managed to avoid hearing the winner all day on Sunday.  Then I saw an item about it, naming the winner on Jayski's NASCAR "silly season CUP" news page.  That pissed me off too!  Now I'm not sure if I'll bother watching the ARCA recording or not. 

But for the truck series broadcast to reveal the winner is even worse (since SPEED were the ones broadcasting the race).  They pretty much shot themselves in the foot for ratings on it that way.  I know a lot of people who won't watch a race if they know who won.  I might do it, but it's only ARCA and the boring KC speedway. 

Cheryl 
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 07:46:31 PM by Cheryl » Logged
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 05:24:39 PM »

All I can say is, if that particular website was a product or service, I would never use it again.  And shame on the SPEED Channel! Angry

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 01:12:08 AM »

Well you saw the same site I did Cheryl. I have no problem with him listing the winner as he does put ARCA news up but it usually is found on the Nationwide page. I just wish it was not so easy to see. If his reply was civil I never would have mentioned this, I was somewhat suprised at his nasty reply. Since Jayski is owned by ESPN I wonder if he would have posted the winner if ESPN had ARCA rights.
  Seeing Scott Speed disappear from the race after about 10 laps then win  took the fun out of watching after knowing he won. I think it would have been a decent race if it was not spoiled for me.

cowboy271
Grizzled Veteran

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 11:29:16 PM »

I once emailed him; several years ago before ESPN, regarding something he posted.  I don't recall the issue, but I was nice and cordial, thanking him for his site and so forth.  I was really shocked by his response.  It was basically a rant by him regarding all the hours and work he puts into the site and basically, I could go elsewhere for my NASCAR news.  I've exchanged emails with several NASCAR writers and websites and never received such an outraged response.

I'm really considering emailing him again to see if I get such a response.  If I do, I may just forward my email and his response to ESPN. 

I'm keeping with NASCAR's theme.."Idiot of Tomorrow" so Speedcouch needs a new resident idiot.
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 12:56:32 AM »

Go for it Evil I wanted to send a reply to his second email to see if I got a third nasty reply but I remembered I am an adult Smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: